What do you want or wish you had from your LDS? All good, all bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Scott,

Unfortunately, Dive Alaska seems to have a loose grasp on the truth.

Neither GUE or TDI lists you in their search results. Yet, they are prominently displayed under your 'Training' tab.

Best business practice - stay on the straight and narrow - it's just too easy to search.

GUE Training? Listed on the website and blogged about as well

The inference is surely that DA offers GUE accredited training. See the attached screenshot.

"We show up Thursday evening, notebooks in hand at the Dive Alaska shop for 4 hours of "class room. Scott Anderson (GUE Instructor – Dive Alaska Owner)
See attached pdf blog of Dive Alaska for more info​
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 3.19.58 PM.png

Here is what GUE has to say -

Subject: [Global Underwater Explorers]
Re: Instructor Query
Date: April 4, 2018 at 2:10:58 PM MDT
Kady Smith (Global Underwater Explorers)
Apr 4, 4:10 PM EDT

Hi,

Scott has recently retired from teaching for GUE, so I'm sure the divealaska.net site just hasn't been updated yet. I know the shop is under new ownership, so I'm sure it will be revised in the near term.
Best,
Kady

Global Underwater Explorers
www.gue.com
+1 386-454-0820
(800) 762-DIVE (3483)​

GUE in Alaska? The GUE site shows zero accredited instructors in AK.

Must be a simple mistake. How about their claim of TDI training?

A search of the TDI web dive center locator reveals only one TDI center in AK.

Hold on, it's not Dive Alaska. How far is Ketchikan from Anchorage?

See attached PDF

OK, let's try PADI

Yep, DA is on the PADI list

ERDI? Sure looks like DA offers this trainnSearch for yourself at

Oh, Boy - not so good

Attachments

• TDI Dive Center Search AK.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 79
  • GUE Fundies class this weekend!.pdf
    327.1 KB · Views: 221
Firstly, I have been an Alaskan diver for 16 years, I know a lot of the people here and a lot of the history. I dive a lot. All for fun.

Scott sold the shop months ago and it’s no secret that he retired as a GUE instructor at the same time. Wantsomescuba is the new owner, Ron. I had previous beef with Scott and the previous version of Dive Alaska, but Ron doesn’t deserve to be the target of whatever axe you’re grinding here. I know the guy. He’s going to end up being one of the very good dive shop owners.

You’re trying to make a big issue out of what is, essentially, just a website that hasn’t been updated. Everything on there was true at some point in the past, it’s not as if it’s all BS.

Give him a chance to get his website updated and to correct the optics - his actions locally (which you can’t see), have done one hell of a job turning things around and he’s taking the shop in a whole new direction.

Huh. I guess this is why I stay off the internet. And here I was just looking for some feedback on what people like or dislike in their local shops, so that I can better serve the community that I'm in.

Annnnd then this happens, because I'm not in the market for a marketing service. Just, wow.

We're still a GUE center, as we don't need to have an instructor on staff. The website is dated, and slowly being updated. Got it. Am I the only person here who feels we may have strayed a little bit off course?

Huh. I guess this is why I stay off the internet. And here I was just looking for some feedback on what people like or dislike in their local shops, so that I can better serve the community that I'm in.

Annnnd then this happens, because I'm not in the market for a marketing service. Just, wow.

We're still a GUE center, as we don't need to have an instructor on staff. The website is dated, and slowly being updated. Got it. Am I the only person here who feels we may have strayed a little bit off course?

Criticism will happen whether you’re on here or not. If you’re here to read it you have the opportunity to address legitimate complains, defend false statements, and wisely ignore the clearly ludicrous. The internet is definitely more in your favor than against you if you learn how to play it. Note many of the suggestions in this thread lean heavily toward internet-savvy businesses, that’s what it takes be a great shop these days.

Note many of the suggestions in this thread lean heavily toward internet-savvy businesses, that’s what it takes be a great shop these days.
Fair enough. And I am aware our web presence is garbage. Luckily, our shop is surrounded by a dive community that values mutual respect and treating everybody decently, and they've been patient while we work our way through updating our site. I still think we're a great shop thanks to the people around it, and getting better, but internet presence is a absolutely part of the growth process.

I did not expect dismissing claims about whether or not we're a GUE affiliate three weeks after you have lunch with their marketing director to be a part of that.

The whole idea for this thread came from a FB post I made praising Amigos up and down, and thinking about how to better serve folks here.

Ok, Scott and Brandon

You asked for suggestions and quite a few were posted.

Unfortunately, your online presence is poor. You didn’t expect to have your didgital presence reviewed? You knew your web site was bad and you left it up?

Perhaps you should have written that the ownership of the shop has recently changed (four months ago, right), that the GUE status was in review, TDI status and on and on.

Most important you should have told folks what your vision is for you shop. You can’t be all things to all divers. What road are you taking?

The OW training stills and videos? Well, I’d delete them right now. Did either of you train these folks?

Good Luck

...//... Note many of the suggestions in this thread lean heavily toward internet-savvy businesses, that’s what it takes be a great shop these days.
Profitable, maybe not great.

The guy(s) seems to be trying to be local brick-and-mortar along with profitable. That is my definition of great.

My idea of a great lds is one I can walk in and first thing I smell is neoprene and coffee you walk in grab a cup have a chat ask the guy/girl what they have new in stock (because you've been in so often you know everything they carry,) or ask them about some new or interesting item you've heard of.
My lds records the serial numbers of my regs and tanks and e mails me 3 months before my tanks are due for vid or hydro.
They take pictures and send Mr pics of the inside before and after cleaning they also take pictures of my regs when they are taken apart and show me things I should be concerned about.
All businesses are sales oriented let's face it that's how they stay open but i love the hangout feel I get when I walk in.
I've gotten invited to view the service area
I've also been invited to check out the new addition my led has not 2 not 3 but 4 compressors and about 30 up air banks and about 30 l.p. banks it's an impressive setup mind you i actively help them when it comes time for the annual vid inspection of all those banks. So maybe I get special treatments but I feel unless you aiding your lds or making your presence known you get poorer service and I'm more inclined to buy from them even if it costs more.
The previous owner of the dive shop was in his 70s and I didn't pay for fills for 2 years because I would volunteer my time helping him with tumbling and doing grunt work that he couldn't do also helping in the pool when I could I would help prepare his charter boat in spring and fall never expecting anything but getting a whole lot more for helping and it was fun

Definitely the website needs update, and as a prospective customer, I'd like to be able to be able to find information there about what you sell, what you service, what you rent, and what classes and events you have to offer (with an up to date calendar - that part is important).

But back to the original question without further beating the dead horse... what do I want to see in a local dive shop?
  • A good fill station. Maybe you can't be Amigo's, but have banks full of 32%. Have helium and oxygen and argon available, at not horribly inflated prices. And please don't call my low pressure tanks "full" at less than 3000 psi.
  • Honest, friendly, and knowledgable staff. Shop employees who dive the gear you sell and can recommend the right equipment for a given environment and give a good reason why. Someone who is able to relate to the tropical vacation diver, the local recreational diver, and to those with more technical pursuits. And someone who is just as like to tell you "no, don't waste money on that" as to push to make a sale. Build customer trust and loyalty for the long haul.
  • Inventory on hand. Yeah, that one's tough, but I like instant gratification. If I can buy something today, I'm happy to spend a bit more money on it. If not, I'm more likely to go get it online (I am unlikely to wait for you to order). And don't forget about the little stuff either. Service kits, parts, hardware, bungee and webbing by the foot. And if I can be really demanding, maybe even some not-too-overpriced hose clamps and bolt snaps?
  • Quality service. If a customer has something simple that can be fixed in a minute or two, and you've got time to look, check it out then and there. If manufacturers will offer repair/warranty, offer to handle shipping for the customer. Set expectations on service turn around time, and do your best to meet commitments. And service your rental gear once in a while too.
  • Allow customers use of a swimming pool, if possible. Setting up and testing new gear can be a challenge when you're tromping through snow to the dive site (heck, even when you're not). If you can let a few folks in the pool during an open water class, great. Even better if you can offer a way for them to try gear before they buy. One of my shops does Halcyon demo evenings where they invite customers into the pool with a GUE instructor to see what it's all about. They sell a LOT of gear... and Fundies classes... by doing that.
  • Training - good instructors, flexible schedules. Small classes. Also, be up front and honest about prices. It sucks to see a shop nickel and dime students for everything after offering a "deal" for an open water class. And don't neglect your potential customers who might want to see what Alaska diving is all about but didn't get certified there. Can they take a drysuit class, or hire an instructor or guide to help them see what cold water is all about? Offer options, and advertise them!
  • Build a community. Regularly scheduled dive club events are fantastic. One local shop does bi-weekly group shore dives guided by an instructor for a nominal fee, great for those who are newer or don't yet know the area. Another does free local fun dives every month, providing site briefings, coffee and treats, and help to get everyone setup with buddies. Group trips, educational presentations, and social nights are also really nice. Sounds like you've got a good group of experienced divers. Make sure there's something for the newbies too.

Be open when it is convenient to your customers, not you. Even if you stayed open late one day on a weekday it would be beneficial.
I could not imagine how difficult it would be to have the right amount of inventory at a dive shop. Around here there is one shop that is filled with old out dated product while all the other shops don't stock enough to make you want to go "look around" To me there is nothing worse than to drive to a shop looking for something and being told that they could order it for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom