Solutions for leaking silicone wrist seals needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the latex seals on my suit reached the end of their life span and i decided to put on Si Tech QCS quick change seals with silicone seals. My first dive last night and the left wrist leaked badly.

Through some investigative work this morning I figured that it is because of the tendons in my wrist and the softness of the silicone.

My old latex seals used to squeeze my wrist tight, but the silicone seals do not. My wrists are larger than the minimum seal measurements. It was only my left side and i assume it is from gripping my light handle. Or could it just be a poor gluing job by the shop? The work looks good.

Any way, anybody have a similar issue that they deal with?
Hi!

I am curious to know whether you solved your problem, as i am facing the same.

I agree with some other comments that drygloves are indeed solving the problem, but at the cost of much reduced hand dexterity. Better to be dry again while still being able to get your hands wet.

Cheers
Nicolas

I find dry gloves give better dexterity and tactile feel while keeping my hands warmer then neoprene gloves.
For the dry gloves to work with wrist seals you need a little string under the seal to compromise them, that way they can equalize. Shallow dives it can be left out

If you have latex seals that work better then silicone, use them. The quick change system doesn't care if they are filled with silicone or latex. Use the seals that have worked in the past.

Hi!

I am curious to know whether you solved your problem, as i am facing the same.

I agree with some other comments that drygloves are indeed solving the problem, but at the cost of much reduced hand dexterity. Better to be dry again while still being able to get your hands wet.

Cheers
Nicolas

Hello!

I forgot I made this thread.

So it turns out that due to the thick overlap on the seams of my suit, there was a leak on the left side. The shop pressure tested it to be sure. So then they applied Aquaseal around the inside lip of the ring system. Good as good now, I've since dived the MS Mikhail Lermontov shipwreck in NZ and done cave diving in Mt Gambier Australia without any wetness!

Oh and I do recommend the smaller sized seals, much more comfortable and safe.

Glad you found the leak and experimented with the smaller seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom