My first DC2000 experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update for the trade in program: The key to the trade-in program is that you have to send a non-functioning item in to get the upgrade. I have (had) an old Reefmaster Mini that I loaned a friend a couple of years ago which sometimes took pictures where the bottom of the picture was grayed/blacked out. I'm going to see if he still has it although the trade-in value isn't as high as the DC1200. Bummed out! Guess I'll be waiting awhile longer before upgrading.

So what I heard was have the cat knock my Micro2.0 off the shelf repeatedly.

Step 1 - get a cat

@dmaziuk @Saniflush

So my wife has gotten a kick out of me telling her your suggestions. I actually called Sea Life again today after rereading the form and words that indicated (to me) that “out of warranty” camera might also be accepted as trade-in. Was put through to someone very knowledgeable who told me that the way the program works is that when you send your trade-in camera in, they will first try and repair it and send it back to you. Told me the DC 1200 could most likely be repaired if I sent it in, since I couldn’t really tell him anything was wrong. The Reefmaster Mini (first version), he told me, would work as they don’t make parts to repair those anymore. Still don’t think I can pass up getting $125 off of the DC2000, with a trade-in camera I would have pitched in the trash anyway, which I would have done by now if it weren’t for my buddy having it his closet for the last 2 years!

:shrug: If the DC1200 works, I'd put on a fleebay or in classifieds here: if you get ~$125 for it, what difference does it make that's not a $125 "trade-in discount".

I recently upgraded from a DC1400 to the DC2000. They have a trade in program available.
View attachment 452807

The upgrade program is only offered in the event that we cannot make a repair. We can repair just about every product we've sold in the past.

The upgrade program is only offered in the event that we cannot make a repair. We can repair just about every product we've sold in the past.

And I would just like to add my appreciation and endorsement for great Customer Service from SeaLife. When I flooded my strobe (my fault, operator error, not an equipment malfunction), their response was very courteous, and I got the replacement back quicker than I expected.

Not so fast, the upgrade program that you see above is only offered in the event that we cannot make a repair. We can repair just about every product we've sold in the past.
Is this for the camera, the cat, or both?
I know the cat wasn't sold by you but I think I now have to consider it an accessory.

Last edited:

A minor nitpick: I got the trade-in list before I even sent my camera back to SeaLife. I think it was sent (a separate e-mail) at teh same time as RMA/return instructions. That condition may have been noted somewhere in the small print, but who ever reads the small print?

As a side note, I was actually quite impressed with my DC1400 powering on after getting flooded in salt water. Zoom drive showed an error, not unexpectedly, but my previous one: a Canon, was just totally dead after a salt water leak. Kudos to SeaLife.

And I would just like to add my appreciation and endorsement for great Customer Service from SeaLife. When I flooded my strobe (my fault, operator error, not an equipment malfunction), their response was very courteous, and I got the replacement back quicker than I expected.

Thank you so much for the kind words! We are always happy to help.

The trade in program was a blessing for me. My Micro HD+ had an issue that was not reparable and I decided to upgrade to the DC2000. Just as an FYI, the fotos I included previously were shot in JPEG and using my one Sea Life Sea Dragon 2500 dive/video light. I have yet to play around with shooting RAW and have never used a strobe. Here is a fun little accidental video that I captured a couple of months ago. I was working as a safety diver for a film crew doing a documentary out at Anacapa Island here in So Cal. I had my DC2000 clipped off to the D-ring on my BC and unbeknownst to me, It was on and shooting video (without dive light) while I was at the surface making sure that everyone got back on the boat safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom