Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good luck. When I bought my BPW, I was concerned about cutting the strap. The people that helped me had a butane torch type lighter (not regular flame) and that helped seal the cut end. Strongly suggest you use one.
There is a bit of information about fit and that did help me out a lot, in fact it was all I needed.
Let us know how you like it.

I use one of those Aim'n'Flame grill lighters that you can get just about anywhere to burn the ends of my webbing, bungee cord, etc.. Works fine.

I have an aluminum freedom plate, I use it all the time for single tanks. In general if diving single AL80s, I still would recommend a steel plate, it just takes care of the buoyancy of the tanks so perfectly.

So I was worried about matching the weight of the rig (minus tank and regs) with the current setup I had (again, minus tanks and regs). I still have a bunch of soft and hard weights if I need a little extra... Monday can’t get here soon enough!

I have double 108 lp Worthington tanks on a as backplate with an oms wing wouldn't want to use aluminum my rig weighs 130lbs I would be afraid of the aluminum breaking/cracking

So I was worried about matching the weight of the rig (minus tank and regs) with the current setup I had (again, minus tanks and regs). I still have a bunch of soft and hard weights if I need a little extra... Monday can’t get here soon enough!

I would have went with a stainless plate, if you needed less weight you could always pickup a second hand aluminum plate for cheap. I look forward to your review.

If your diving does not include doubles, I too recommend a plate designed for single tanks. The Freedom Plate is a great plate but expensive for a first timer. VDH www.vintagedoublehose.com has a plate designed for double hose regulators (not be confused with double tanks) but works very well with single hose regulators and is a bit more affordable.

If you're undecided on SS vs AL, go with AL because you can always add weight to the cam band or plate.

Shameless plug: I have a custom aluminum single tank plate that I don't use anymore as I've gone to the two plates mentioned above. I also a barely used HOG 23 lb wing for sale. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
I just got two Deep Six BPs with their 30-pound wings for students. They look great and the price is awesome. However, they don't have near the fit and finish of the Deep Sea Supply BPs. I don't know that it will make a difference once on your back, and I'll post back here if it does.

If your diving does not include doubles, I too recommend a plate designed for single tanks. The Freedom Plate is a great plate but expensive for a first timer. VDH www.vintagedoublehose.com has a plate designed for double hose regulators (not be confused with double tanks) but works very well with single hose regulators and is a bit more affordable.

The Blue Reef SS plate from LeisurePro will work with singles and doubles and is even less expensive than the VDH plate...

Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate

I'm curious how the VDH plate really compares in use. I have been told by someone else here that the VDH plate is really good if you are diving a double hose reg. But, that for normal single tank diving it is not ideal. The issue that was expressed to me is that the VDH plate does not hold the tank up off your back at all. Thus, the bottom of the tank may be hitting you in the butt. Or it may not be at the right angle, at the top. Seeming to support that notion is the Freedom Contour plate and the tank rail that it has, which is set at an angle to the plate itself, to hold the bottom of the tank out away from your body a little bit, which also angles the top of the tank to be closer to the diver's back.

The Freedom plate is definitely noticeably more comfortable and stable than any other back plate I have tried. It is a work of art and incredibly functional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom