• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted. I agree with @gopbroek , it's very dependent on the type/environment of your diving. When I dive with the "usual suspects," I burn a lot of gas laughing. I have that factored in...:)

Makes a big difference if I'm diving for pleasure in the caribbean or in the cold water up here working on putting down/taking up milfoil mats.

this poll will only be successful if many participate, a poll in 2004 had 70 participants, not enough, if you know your RMV, please contribute
I am not sure how you define success for this poll. Can you give an example of what you would like the resulting numbers to be used for?
My numbers are very different depending on what kind of diving I am doing. When tropical fun diving, my consumption is lower. Cold water drysuit diving, higher. Teaching open water students in cold water with drysuits, much higher.
I don't see how averaging numbers from these very distinct sets of data can make a lot of statistical sense, even if you include the standard deviation. The average from my numbers will tell you more about the distribution of the kinds of diving I do, measured in number of dives, than it will about my gas consumption.

Is not some of this above basic scuba discussion? I know a leisurely dive at 9 to 12 m will give me about 45 minutes from a 15 L tank filled to 230 bar before it drops to 50 bar (the red on my SPG). Going deeper and swimming harder increases my consumption and reduces my dive time. regular checks on my SPG are all I need. Without detailed tide / current knowledge I would think any initial gas consumption assumption used for dive planning could be rendered worthless if the tide was not as expected.
Edit - I just thought I would add this "tide effect" example. Quite a few years ago I was swimming with a group near Machrihanish near the southern tip of Argyll. We were warned not to go too far from shore and be out by a certain time because after that time the tide would quickly increase to about 5 knots. Last summer a surf boarder got caught out here and ended up being rescued a day later 1/2 way to Ireland with sunburn, dehydration and hypothermia.

Last edited:
Edit - I just thought I would add this "tide effect" example. Quite a few years ago I was swimming with a group near Machrihanish near the southern tip of Argyll. We were warned not to go too far from shore and be out by a certain time because after that time the tide would quickly increase to about 5 knots.
There is another key issue about staying near shore there. Players on the first hole of the Machrihanish golf course have to hit their tee shots over the ocean at high tide. With the winds blowing as they do, there is no telling where the balls will go. You could easily have a serious injury surfacing at the wrong time.

Boulderjohn - How come you as an American are familiar with Machrihanish, Military service perhaps? My niece and some school friends were on a sea kayaking holiday just north of Machrihanish when what they now know was a basking shark surfaced. All they knew at the time was it looked like a massive "Jaws" with a huge mouth. Some of them did in their canoes what divers are not supposed to do in their wetsuits, whilst racing for the shore. My niece describe the experience as "life changing"

Boulderjohn - How come you as an American are familiar with Machrihanish, Military service perhaps? My niece and some school friends were on a sea kayaking holiday just north of Machrihanish when what they now know was a basking shark surfaced. All they knew at the time was it looked like a massive "Jaws" with a huge mouth. Some of them did in their canoes what divers are not supposed to do in their wetsuits, whilst racing for the shore. My niece describe the experience as "life changing"
Because I did hit my tee shot on the first hole at Machrihanish out over the ocean, although it was not high tide so there was some land I could put a mishit ball on--luckily. It was at the end of May. The wind and rain were such that I was wearing long pants, rain pants over the top, a long sleeved shirt, a vest, a fleece jacket, and a rain jacket. The Machrihanish clubhouse was the first golf shop I had ever seen with an entire wall of the retail area devoted to selling wool caps. I bought one with their oystercatcher logo, but I have sadly lost it since.

On one memorable fairly short par 4 hole, I crushed a drive straight down the middle into the wind. For my second shot, I selected a 3-wood and hit it as well as I could. I was thus able to reach the green on my third shot with only a 7-iron. I could never get the hang of just keeping the ball rolling on the ground. That is my wife's typical shot, and she could always outhit me going into the wind.

This was a couple of years ago, a couple weeks before the conditions were so bad at the Open at St. Andrews that they had to postpone one of the rounds. According to the weather reports, we played at least 5 rounds in Scotland when the conditions were worse than the ones at St. Andrews when they postponed play. When we took a day off the visit Edinburgh Castle, the official weather report said the winds were more than enough to qualify as a hurricane.

I posted on FaceBook that I now understood why the Eskimos had not invented golf, but I could not understand why the Scots did.

Fortunately, we had the best conditions of the vacation when we played St. Andrews, and I got a shockingly good score. My caddy said that he is a professional golfer, but he refuses to play in Scotland because fighting the wind so much will ruin his swing for playing the game in more civilized locations.

I am usually between .5-.75 and my biggest local factor is visibility... all local diving is 43-48* and drysuit
When I was in Mexico on a drift dive I was down to .4

If vis is 15-20 feet or better I’m around .5 but it’s typically a little less so I voted .6-.69
When vis is under 5 feet it goes up to .75 or Just over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom