Grand cayman basic info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another take or option would be to stay at Oceanfrontiers out on the east end. Diving and dive op is excellent. You can buddy with the DM and if you let them know your experience and preference they will try to match you on a boat with similar divers looking for similar experience. You can do your two tank in the AM, PM or both. They have good packages that include a car. Pick up of the car is a breeze at the airport and the drive is not that complicated.
For a 4 trip there is plenty to do topside nearby - Crystal Caves, Botanical Garden, Rum Point. There also are plenty of dining options for a short trip, Eagle Rays onsite, Tukka just down the street and Over the Edge a short drive away.
We have done a number of 3 and 4 night trips to GC staying at OF and thoroughly enjoyed it.

happy now...:(

Haha... sorry, just see this comment about exchange rate so much! Just trying to clear up any misunderstandings!

My friends (dive and non-dive) have had good success renting a 2 bedroom condo from 7 Mile Beach Resort. Beautiful property, sleep 8, full kitchens + shared bar b q grills outside, 2 full baths, screened porch, pool, on the beach side of the street, maybe 100 yards off beach.
Walking distance to numerous restaurants and watering holes. They also offer a shuttle to the grocery store to stock in provisions - my friends and I like to cook in leaving more money for diving! The snorkeling off the beach was good as well - the resort next door put in fish balls attracting some bigger 'things'. I encountered a 3 foot barracuda in about 5 feet of water.
Ambassador Divers is right there - I've gone as a solo diver and was made quite at home diving with them, stored my gear between dives as well. Well run, safe operation. Concierge style diving - they would assemble gear for you, if you wanted. Plenty of shallower dive opportunities off 7 MB, including some decent shore diving. When traveling alone I've been able to arrange guides for the shore diving, normally doing morning boat (deep north wall conditions permitting) and 2 afternoon shore to places like Macabuca, Eden and Sunset.

If pricing differences worldwide were just due to exchange rate everything in Indonesia would be 13,616 times more expensive than the US!

Beat me to it - that used to drive me mad with the random argument that $0.8CI = $1US so its more expensive. People just dont seem to get the fact that (i) Cayman is not the USA - its a different country and (ii) has its own currency.

Yes Cayman is expensive (one of the most expensive islands in the world) HOWEVER that has nothing to do with the fixed exchange rate to the US dollar.
Its entirely due to the massive import tariffs on everything (and no natural resources or production so EVERYTHING is imported).

Yes Cayman is expensive (one of the most expensive islands in the world) HOWEVER that has nothing to do with the fixed exchange rate to the US dollar.
Its entirely due to the massive import tariffs on everything (and no natural resources or production so EVERYTHING is imported).

Finally found one thing that was cheaper here than in the US. Our dog ate a lot of sand and old food off the beach a couple of days ago and had to visit the vet. The exam, the two sets of xrays, and all the meds came to less than half of what we would have paid our vet back in the States. Big surprise. Meanwhile a burger at lunchtime will still cost you more than a nice dinner at a fancy US restaurant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom