Instructor course question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max2018

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My question is, would it fair or what is the probability of finding a place to take the instructor course, Padi, and waiting to take the course where they would hire you at least for a month or two to get some experience before finding another gig? There is so much ppl taking the courses, it worries me a little to take the course, spend that kind of money and not finding soon after...any opinions on how to go about this? Thx :)

You may find there is so many instructors in the world already that a shop doesn't want to pay you to give you experience. Especially when you plan to leave them once you think you have employable skills developed sufficiently to get a "real job" in dive instructing.

Some places will let you work in exchange for commission or a discount towards your training. The other popular marketing strategy is to offer "internships" where you'll labor at a shop while training and that stretches out the training course by mixing it on with shop duties.

Are you hoping to live off your instructor abilities? Which region do you plan to live?

One approach I have seen fairly frequently is to find a shop where you might like to work and get your DM training from them. It is usually easy to find work for such a shop because DMs don't make a lot of money. If you do a good job with your training, they may well have you work as a DM for them. Do that for a while and see if you like them and if they like you. If they have their own Course Director, you can then take your IDC there and have a leg up getting a job. If they don't, you can head off somewhere with their blessing and come back to them ready to go.

Hey Northernone,

In a way yes...I also have another income besides that...if it can at least cover my living expenses ans save a little money to continue to another region at some point that would be fine for me...Im flexible in the areas...Im presently in South East Asia and like very much the Carribean and South America...no difference to me...i have been traveling most of the time for the last 5 yrs...Im a DM at the moment..

If you speak other languages than English, there will be a much bigger chance to get hired after your ITC...
I do...thx for the comment :)

One approach I have seen fairly frequently is to find a shop where you might like to work and get your DM training from them. It is usually easy to find work for such a shop because DMs don't make a lot of money. If you do a good job with your training, they may well have you work as a DM for them. Do that for a while and see if you like them and if they like you. If they have their own Course Director, you can then take your IDC there and have a leg up getting a job. If they don't, you can head off somewhere with their blessing and come back to them ready to go.
Thx...

My shop is in need of instructors at the moment, usually there are more than enough but we haven’t been running our IDC’s as often, as we prefer to train “in house”, but now we are short . So there are opportunities but unless you are lucky or willing to travel, full time work in Canada is rare.

I do...thx for the comment :)
French? Then you might be lucky...That's the language that gives me a lot of work too :) Otherwise, German is a great language too. Combined, even better...

Back
Top Bottom