Idea for superior regulator bag for cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not pick up a Pelican case? That is what I use for my regs. Safe, secure and will keep those babies protected.

Just saw this thread--thanks for resurrecting it, as it is of interest to me. Soft-sided coolers and the like are fine solutions for carry-on reg bags, but I'd like to find something to cushion my regs inside my checked airline bag. I have been nestling them inside wetsuits, sometimes supplemented with bubble wrap and plastic bags rubber-banded over the secondaries, but it has seemed like a kluge. Also, when I reach my destination I sometimes open my bag to find that TSA moved everything around, and the regs are no longer nestled in the wetsuits and/or bubble wrap. I usually travel to tropical destinations with a single-tank reg set, but now I have a trip planned in which I'm going to want to put a set of doubles regs in my checked bag. Surely there is a better solution? The paintball gun case mentioned upthread sounds intriguing if it would fit in and lay flat in my bag.

Very interesting thread!
As a new dive instructor I need to carry my reg to a pool, to a local dive site, etc.
Most of the time in a big backpack with other stuff - books, notes, iPad, etc.
I was also thinking about ziploc, but I do not see one big enough and it does not provide any protection.
Was carrying the reg currently in a SeaToSummit roll dry bag.
So when it is wet it does not leak on the other gear.

When I carried on my regs (pre-camera gear ), I bought a clamshell design backpack and out my reg in there along with my primary dive mask in its case, my lights, my computer, and my chargers/other electronics/ general needs for flights.

Timbuk2 and The North Face both make good ones in a taurpaulin material which makes it excellent for dive travel since it is water resistant and very durable. The North Face one is better made and more durable but both are great options. Have a look. I bought my TNF one a few years ago. I think they just renamed and redesigned it to something else but you can still get the jet back from Timbuk2.

Jet Pack | Backpacks | Timbuk2

This may be an option for those who want to have some protection/organization inside of luggage-
https://www.amazon.com/Evecase-Resistant-Universal-Chromebook-Ultrabook/dp/B00LFJ88SQ/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522012226&sr=1-21&keywords=laptop+sleeve&th=1
A 15" laptop sleeve will hold a reg set, and doesn't take up a lot of extra space. Neoprene, padded, handles, a number of options out there and many are $10.00 - $15.00

I use laptop cases. A large one will hold two regs, a computer console, compass, spares, slate, and have room left over. A small one will fit two regs with ease. They generally have padded sides. These days, though, mine usually carries my two back gas regs, inflator reg, and an assortment of spare hoses and paperwork, with a second smaller one devoted to deco regs. People throw these things out left and right, and they seem to last about five years each. Dry suit zipper lube extends the zipper life, too.

If I'm not traveling where padding matters, I'll put them all in a milk crate where they are easier to rinse and don't need to have a case opened to dry out.

Very interesting thread!
As a new dive instructor I need to carry my reg to a pool, to a local dive site, etc.
Most of the time in a big backpack with other stuff - books, notes, iPad, etc.
I was also thinking about ziploc, but I do not see one big enough and it does not provide any protection.
Was carrying the reg currently in a SeaToSummit roll dry bag.
So when it is wet it does not leak on the other gear.

I am not sure what is available in the Netherlands but in the U.S. they do make big Ziploc bags that are used for clothing storage. They are not found with the kitchen bags but where they sell house wears. I never thought of using them for scuba.

I am curious. Why do you feel you need a reg bag?

While some probably think you're being a smart ass, I think this is a valid question. Of all the bits of gear we use, a reg is posibly the most robust... It's a block of brass or delrin. For 35 years, I've travelled with my regs wrapped up in my wetsuit and stuffed into an Akona roller bag. They always seem to arrive, good as new.

What I REALLY don't need is another few pounds of baggage.

Also, regarding carry-on, when my daughter returned from a year in Utila, she was wearing wetsuit boots for shoes and carrying a small clear dry-bag for carry-on. Brilliant I thought.

Why not pick up a Pelican case? That is what I use for my regs. Safe, secure and will keep those babies protected.

a have a few, and use them as little as possible. they're too heavy and are overkill, even for me. I do have a small one for my O2 and CO testers, but when both need new sensors (maybe now, already) it may be cheaper to go with a smaller single unit, and maybe ditch that box too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom