Petite female bcd..From Back inflate to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a petite female too. I don’t have a BP/W yet but I asked about them as a petite female and got great advice and I do want to try one. (Right now I dive a kind of soft version.) One thing to be aware of is that if you are short you may want a short backplate and only a few companies make them... Deep Sea Supply is one.
Yes another thread someone sang the praises of the dss wing with travel back plate... looking to be able to try one somehow. Maybe at one of the demo days at Dutch Springs this year.

I tried my friend’s on and it was really uncomfortable but after reading about the I realized #1 Their shoulders were set too tight, #2 Their plate was too long. I think they take dialing in.

Another thing about them is they distribute some weight higher up, which may or may not be desirable. I specifically bought heavy fins to move some weight down. I’m very intrigued by the Freedom Contour plate that a guy on here custom makes partially because it is pear shaped which might be perfect... but those are hard to get ;-)

I would check out the Diverite Transpac. It's like a hybrid BP/W because it doesn't have a hard plate like a traditional BP/W. It has a BP sort of but it's like a very stiff vinyl. I bought it to travel with because it folds up very nicely and is lightweight. There is very minimal drag associated with it and you can also get it with weight pockets. I use it with a drysuit in cold water and in a 3mm in the summer. The other nice thing is you can change the wing out to the size that you need just like a traditional BP/W. I have never had any problems with venting air from it like you mentioned which I have had too with the traditional BC.

If I remember right, it was labor intensive for some.

The big turn-off with a BP/W for some is the harness. Halcyon used to brand itself as the "DIR Dive Company" and uses a 1-piece harness. Most divers have not seen this before and unless you have a mentor to set it up for you it could take some time and a few dives to get it right. For some, they never get it adjusted properly. Most other companies recognize this and make other types of harnesses similar to a BC harness, for example Dive Rite has the Deluxe Harness, the Deluxe Harness with Quick Release, and the Transplate Harness. There are some YouTube videos on these.

Another drawback to the Halcyon system is that is uses a single tank adaptor which most companies no longer use. So you have an extra part to carry.

Another thing about them is they distribute some weight higher up, which may or may not be desirable. I specifically bought heavy fins to move some weight down. I’m very intrigued by the Freedom Contour plate that a guy on here custom makes partially because it is pear shaped which might be perfect... but those are hard to get ;-)

If you want a Freedom Plate just email Eric. He may have some ready.

Since you live in NYC call the Leisurepro store and see what you can try on there. Store | LeisurePro.com - apparently:
We maintain separate inventory for web and store, to assure products are available in store when your visit, just email our sales team with SKU, size, color, and quantity you are interested in, and will have it waiting for you.

One to look at price wise ($270) although it has an insane amount of lift - and is a 2013 model:

Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black

There;s also a Ladies Aqualung Zuma in small/x-small - although I suspect the only difference is the accent color, they're $449 - Aqua Lung Zuma Travel BC

priced any bp/wings? they're generally $500+ - ones with the "H" even more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom