Gopro black 5 or 6? And wheres the gopro info sticky thread for newbie questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I decided to give one of these lights a try. Based on the CREE specs the LEDs will put out ~800lm each @ 2000mAh. So running a 5000mAh 26650 lithium battery it should be able to meet the specified 1500lm rating for 2 hours. So two of these lights (with the upgraded batteries) will be about $200 and put out ~3000lm.

Trying to get all of my kit together to try it out on a dive here once before my Philippines trip in May...

Last edited:
Yes, you lose the inherent waterproof feature when you take the lens cover off.

Thank you. Certainly makes that case a shite design....
Has anyone had problems with their super suit case leaking?

Even though it is a simple case I hesitate to use an aftermarket one as they don't always get the dimensions right in a copy to insure proper compression of the O-rings...

If you don't get the GoPro one, get the Wasabi. There are a number of different options/combinations.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gopro5+wasabi&rh=i:aps,k:gopro5+wasabi

I have bought the Wasabi batteries before (for our work gopro) and they worked well. I was mainly looking at the form factor of the charging case rather than the battery efficacy. The triple charger case also acts as a holder to protect the batteries during travel.

Thank you. Certainly makes that case a shite design....
Has anyone had problems with their super suit case leaking?

Even though it is a simple case I hesitate to use an aftermarket one as they don't always get the dimensions right in a copy to insure proper compression of the O-rings...
It's better than no case. I use the flip filters and that case.

I think this dive case is more what I am looking for. It is designed for the GP5 to drop in without having to remove the lens cover. So even if the case leaks some it is not likely to damage the camera. Mostly good reviews... The aftermarket ones are cheap enough I can get a spare for my trip just in case one gives me issues...

I will then need to figure out what to do about filters as I suppose the square part around the lens is larger than stock super suit and won't fit the flip filters... They do offer a mount that uses standard 58mm screw on filters, but that seems like a PITA underwater...

I found the Archon Dive Video lights that have many good reviews (even here on Scubaboard) for a budget video light. You can get a D11V-II 1200lm video light off ebay for about $55 shipped from US. $65 from Amazon. Looks like it does not include the 18650 battery & charger though (I already have these). Many good reviews of the earlier D11V model (older version/less output) by Divers on Amazon.

I have a pair of the Archon (Amazon) dive lights for my Gopro tray system and am happy with them. During the day they are only effective for a couple feet.

I wouldn't monkey with knockoff dive cases for my Gropro. Quality unknown and accessories don't fit. Same with filters. I lost my GoPro brand red filter (15-70ft) and bought a cheap knockoff. The filter was way too red and the resulting video unusable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom