Do you think a 32 minute layover in Houston is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

32 minute layover in Houston is a non happening event.

Reschedule.

If the door is already closed that guy at the counter really has zero control at that point (regardless of what you see in the movies). To reopen the doors, that permission has to come from the pilots

The dilemma airline gate agents have is that they have control of the jetway and aircraft departure time until the aircraft doors are closed. After that the Captain has control. Unfortunately most gate agents and station chiefs are not willing to take the hit on their statistics for a late departure caused by them asking Captains if they are willing to re-open the aircraft door to accommodate late arriving passengers. Because of that "numbers game," Captains rarely get that call from the gate agents, or know that people are being left at the gate, but in most cases would be more than willing to re-open the door to get people on board, especially if it is the last flight of the day to the destination. I had a classic case of this situation one Christmas Eve when I looked out the cockpit window to the terminal right before pushback, only to see a bunch of people frantically waving at the terminal window. When I asked what was going on in the terminal, I was told to disregard and push back. Luckily we had no crew rest issues or connections to make, so I explained the situation to the passengers, asking them to put themselves in the stranded passengers situation, unlocked the door, and personally put the passengers on the plane. The gate agent was not happy until I gave him a note from me to give to whoever might give a damn that I delayed the flight. Those passengers were lucky because the stars were all in correct alignment that night, but I would not plan on such circumstances being the normal for dealing with tight connections.

The dilemma airline gate agents have is that they have control of the jetway and aircraft departure time until the aircraft doors are closed. After that the Captain has control. Unfortunately most gate agents and station chiefs are not willing to take the hit on their statistics for a late departure caused by them asking Captains if they are willing to re-open the aircraft door to accommodate late arriving passengers. Because of that "numbers game," Captains rarely get that call from the gate agents, or know that people are being left at the gate, but in most cases would be more than willing to re-open the door to get people on board, especially if it is the last flight of the day to the destination. I had a classic case of this situation one Christmas Eve when I looked out the cockpit window to the terminal right before pushback, only to see a bunch of people frantically waving at the terminal window. When I asked what was going on in the terminal, I was told to disregard and push back. Luckily we had no crew rest issues or connections to make, so I explained the situation to the passengers, asking them to put themselves in the stranded passengers situation, unlocked the door, and personally put the passengers on the plane. The gate agent was not happy until I gave him a note from me to give to whoever might give a damn that I delayed the flight. Those passengers were lucky because the stars were all in correct alignment that night, but I would not plan on such circumstances being the normal for dealing with tight connections.

Nice post Altamira.

Once delayed in Chicago from, Newark to SFO, we had the famous run through the terminals to try and make the connecting flight.

We were fortunate to find a gate attendant who let us board even though the gate was closed.

She called and they allowed us to board in a breathless rush.

It is always up to the individual that makes a difference.

Nice post Altamira.

Once delayed in Chicago from, Newark to SFO, we had the famous run through the terminals to try and make the connecting flight.

We were fortunate to find a gate attendant who let us board even though the gate was closed.

She called and they allowed us to board in a breathless rush.

It is always up to the individual that makes a difference.
Yeah, we had an American gate agent in MIA rush us through to board just as the door was closing....we'd run through the terminal, they saw us coming asked our names, which we shouted out, still running, and they said Get on the plane! Problem is, they did not scan our boarding passes....so when we got to Barbados our bags were not there, "because we were not on the flight." Three days of arguing using long-distance calls from Bequia to Barbados to Miami....they finally sent the bags to Barbados (with our dive gear) only because I pointed out we'd charged some food on the MIA-Barbados flight, had the receipt to prove it, and really did not want to have to explain to the FAA they they had flown us without checking us in, which would have been illegal. Then we had to get the bags to Bequia, which Windward Airlines took care of nicely. PITA. then Hurricane Maria came along and caused to to spend two days in Barbados trying to get home, which finally happened by going through Toronto on Westjet.
Ahh, memories. What a trip.

Last edited:
I checked your flights again for today:

Looks like the Denver to Houston arrival was 11 minutes early:

Good thing it was early - the Cozumel flight departure was 10 minutes ahead of schedule:

But no worries, you would have had an extra minute. Must have something to do with Daylight Savings Time.

Thanks for checking. I was watching the Den-Hou flight this morning as well. Hey...an extra minute! Maybe we'll hit the souvenir shop. Hopefully they won't leave early if they know they have 4 ticketed passengers rushing between flights.

Altamira - good idea on the frequent flyer call. I have been a member for years & currently have over 100K miles. I tried them this morning. They were more helpful than the regular service desk. They gave me a couple other options, but they're either quite expensive or inconvenient times. I'm considering it, but it's probably no better than my current bag drag plan B.

Thanks again folks!

Thanks for checking. I was watching the Den-Hou flight this morning as well. Hey...an extra minute! Maybe we'll hit the souvenir shop. Hopefully they won't leave early if they know they have 4 ticketed passengers rushing between flights.

Altamira - good idea on the frequent flyer call. I have been a member for years & currently have over 100K miles. I tried them this morning. They were more helpful than the regular service desk. They gave me a couple other options, but they're either quite expensive or inconvenient times. I'm considering it, but it's probably no better than my current bag drag plan B.

Thanks again folks!
Can you explain? The flights appear to show 49 minutes scheduled between them, tight but not ridiculous. What times did you get when you checked this morning? Was the 32 minutes an error?

Can you explain? The flights appear to show 49 minutes scheduled between them, tight but not ridiculous. What times did you get when you checked this morning? Was the 32 minutes an error?

The scheduled flight times vary a bit each day. On the day we fly (27th), UA1104 departs Denver at 8:07. Today its scheduled departure was 7:50. The Houston to Cozumel flight also changes by 1 minute (12:03 today, 12:04 next Tuesday). I like that change. :)

The scheduled flight times vary a bit each day. On the day we fly (27th), UA1104 departs Denver at 8:07. Today its scheduled departure was 7:50. The Houston to Cozumel flight also changes by 1 minute (12:03 today, 12:04 next Tuesday). I like that change. :)

Measuring changes certainly can be fun, remember to also be measuring your blood pressure changes as well.

Measuring changes certainly can be fun, remember to also be measuring your blood pressure changes as well.

My doctor prescribes at least a 90 minute connection time, and 3 hours for international. :)

In January my layover was 1 hour 5 minutes in Houston. I made the flight barely but my luggage did not. It was a pain in the ass getting my luggage.

Back
Top Bottom