2 simple questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
IMG_1340 copy.jpg
IMG_1341 copy.jpg
Really simple questions:

1. What floats do people use to neutrally balance their rig UW? I have a D500 in Ikelite and 2 Ikelite DS161s. With Macro port for the 60 mm, I think it will become very negatively buoyant. With 8" dome port I am not sure.

2. How to you tether your gear to your BP/W ?

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
What arms are you using? I started out making floats from PVC tubing with end caps. Worked for a while and then they actually leaked.

I use ultralight arms and I went to foam blocks cut to slide onto the arms. The ones I bought are from Generation Designs and I have to say that I love em! Underwater - Floats and Float Belts - 4th Generation Designs

I have the FUL-3 blocks and 4 of them provide 1.6 lbs of flotation. I ended up with 3 on each arm that works for my rig and it's just a few ounces positive. I could tweak it more by simply cutting the blocks or shaving some off, but this works for me.

I bought mine from Bluewater Photo but it looks like they are not stocking the FUL-3 now. Only the smaller FUL-2.

As for attaching the gear to my rig, I run a piece of braided poly rope with a loop on the end passed through the handle slot and a bolt snap on the other end. Once I forgot the rope when I was switching stuff around at home and ended up making a quick replacement with a bolt snap and a few feet of paracord. Either one works but I prefer the nylon in low vis because it's white and a little floaty so it's easy to move out of the way.

stop by belle tire and get some stick on wheel weights to help balance the dome

stop by belle tire and get some stick on wheel weights to help balance the dome
Closest one is 350 miles away.

What arms are you using? I started out making floats from PVC tubing with end caps. Worked for a while and then they actually leaked.

I use ultralight arms and I went to foam blocks cut to slide onto the arms. The ones I bought are from Generation Designs and I have to say that I love em! Underwater - Floats and Float Belts - 4th Generation Designs

I have the FUL-3 blocks and 4 of them provide 1.6 lbs of flotation. I ended up with 3 on each arm that works for my rig and it's just a few ounces positive. I could tweak it more by simply cutting the blocks or shaving some off, but this works for me.

I bought mine from Bluewater Photo but it looks like they are not stocking the FUL-3 now. Only the smaller FUL-2.

As for attaching the gear to my rig, I run a piece of braided poly rope with a loop on the end passed through the handle slot and a bolt snap on the other end. Once I forgot the rope when I was switching stuff around at home and ended up making a quick replacement with a bolt snap and a few feet of paracord. Either one works but I prefer the nylon in low vis because it's white and a little floaty so it's easy to move out of the way.
Thank you; trying to figure it out.

Foam floats like Jim uses. They work great. I use one of the coil type retractors but have replaced all the crappy plastic hardware with stainless hardware, boltsnaps, etc. I like it because I can unclip it so that I get full length of the coil, but it's still attached to me. When it's stowed, it hangs closer and the coil is lower profile than just a line.

Huh. I always added weights to make my housings slightly negative in case I accidentally let go of it but I was usually diving where there was a bottom that was reachable. One time my dive buddy let go of the movie camera while entering the surf and we found it easily resting on the bottom. If it was positive it might have been tossed onto the beach or washed out to sea. I once had a small camera that was positive and the wrist strap broke and I never saw it again due to wind and currents. Recently I dropped my little video camera (negative) and it was recovered.

Back
Top Bottom