first timers to bermuda -recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So this thread looks pretty dead - so not sure how quickly I will get any response.
But first time trip to Bermuda - staying half the time at the Newstead on the Harbout - and half time at the Reefs on the south shore - any recommendations on local dive sites, dive ops, must-do's, etc. Prices are little on the steep side (similar to my costs in North Carolina - but for short boat trips - even if not great, I just love to get in the water.

I read the older threads - but just not sure how updated they all are (shops still in business, management turn over, etc)

thanks!

I've had many enjoyable dives, for many years, with Dive Bermuda, located at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel's beach (Located on the South Shore). They also have a shop located at the Grotto Bay Hotel.
I would strongly recommend either operation.
As you look through the older threads, you'll probably aware of the fact that there are no car rentals available in Bermuda, and your options for getting from your hotel to the dive shop in many cases will be taxi (expensive but great), or buses (also good, but sometimes crowded and slow, and work on their schedule not necessarily yours.)
You might want to contact the resorts at which you are staying, and see if they can recommend the closest, but best(?) dive operation, and see if the hotel has any type of courtesy shuttle. (I'm not familiar with any, but things do change!)
In any event, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip and get to do some safe and enjoyable dives

When you’re at the Reefs you will be just west of Dive Bermuda, so It may not be too bad of a bus ride, or too expensive of a taxi. Other option is the Reefs may have a shuttle to Horseshoe Bay beach, which is right next to Dive Bermuda. You might want to check with them. Most other options go out of the Royal Dockyards due to cruise ship passengers. There used to be a shop in Hamilton that did dives (never used them) but I’m not sure if they are still around. They were across the alley from the Washington Mall.
Have fun, Bermuda is my happy place!

Erik

We liked Fantasea Divers, fun dives first visit. Second visit we did online rescue course and then did checkout dives at snorkel beach near King’s Wharf.

Hi Scotty. Spent a week there a few year back before I dove. Did a lot of snorkeling not too far from where you are staying on the second half of your trip. Viz was great. Have fun.

Bermuda is beautiful and you should have a wonderful time. Have not stayed at the Reefs but have eaten there. It is one of the premier places to stay. You should love it. For diving, what time of year are you going? Will make a big difference on whether you will be able to do some diving.

At the Reefs you are next to or near the beach at the Fairmont Southampton where Dive Berumda has an op and boat. Have not dove with them but based upon all the posts I feel safe recommending. Visiting and swimming Horseshoe beach is a must but the beach at the Reefs is also beautiful. I have a bunch of other suggestions but first let me know the month of your travel. I would avoid Fanatsea only because it is not near where you will be staying at it is a cruise ship up right at the cruise ship piers.

I'm heading down Late June, any suggestions you have tkaelin would be greatly appreciated.
Want to make this a special trip for the wife

Can you be more specific? Is this a diving trip with both of you diving, a vacation trip where you would like to get a dive or two in? Have you done any research yet on where you want to stay, what part of the island you would like to stay and what you would like to do?

hey all - thanks for the info - we are heading out in 2 weeks - wife doesn't dive - just gonna sneak out for a 2 tank dive with dive bermuda at the FSH. Will let you know how it goes

hey all - thanks for the info - we are heading out in 2 weeks - wife doesn't dive - just gonna sneak out for a 2 tank dive with dive bermuda at the FSH. Will let you know how it goes

How was your trip and your dives? It looks like I'll be heading over for a short trip in July.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom