Sea and Sea YS-D2J or Inon Z330?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squalo305

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own ikelite ds-160 but I am about to change my housing and I wanted to get new strobes, so I narrowed my search down to Inon z330 or sea and sea ys-d2j. Any comments? I have been reading that inon is more reliable, another reviews are getting some kind of troubles with S&S. And I think the new Inons are cheaper.

Thank you!

Sea & Sea has brought production back to japan for better quality control and those are the YS-D2Js. They should not have the quality issues as seen in the D2 which have black bodies. Maybe someone with personal experience with the D2Js can chime in here. I have the D2s and have not had problem but I also do not have experience with Inon.

I recently bought a pair of Sea & Sea YS-03 strobes. One of them failed on the very first dive. This meant that I spent the rest of the week on a LOB with only one operational strobe. When I got home, I contacted the store where I bought the strobes and explained what happened to them. Their immediate response was "Send it back. We will handle it."

A few weeks later, I got a package with what was supposed to be my repaired strobe back from Sea & Sea. It turned out to be somebody else's strobe. I again contacted the store and they found out who this strobe belonged to and I sent it off to them. I still didn't have my strobe. After a couple more issues, the shop said basically that although they have moved their manufacturing to Japan and they expect things to improve, the bottom line is that Sea & Sea is not what they once were. They then offered me a credit for the amount that my missing/malfunctioning strobe was toward a new one. I applied my credit toward an Inon S2000 strobe which should be shipped out to me next week.

I have had Inon strobes in the past, and have loved them. This latest experience with Sea & Sea has not been good. (The shop where I bought them from has been amazing in their customer service.)

If I were you, I would opt for the Inon Z330 over any strobe from Sea & Sea until things improve significantly with S&S.

Thank you!

I recently bought a pair of Sea & Sea YS-03 strobes. One of them failed on the very first dive. This meant that I spent the rest of the week on a LOB with only one operational strobe. When I got home, I contacted the store where I bought the strobes and explained what happened to them. Their immediate response was "Send it back. We will handle it."

A few weeks later, I got a package with what was supposed to be my repaired strobe back from Sea & Sea. It turned out to be somebody else's strobe. I again contacted the store and they found out who this strobe belonged to and I sent it off to them. I still didn't have my strobe. After a couple more issues, the shop said basically that although they have moved their manufacturing to Japan and they expect things to improve, the bottom line is that Sea & Sea is not what they once were. They then offered me a credit for the amount that my missing/malfunctioning strobe was toward a new one. I applied my credit toward an Inon S2000 strobe which should be shipped out to me next week.

I have had Inon strobes in the past, and have loved them. This latest experience with Sea & Sea has not been good. (The shop where I bought them from has been amazing in their customer service.)

If I were you, I would opt for the Inon Z330 over any strobe from Sea & Sea until things improve significantly with S&S.

I just pirchased Sea&Sea YS-D2 yellow color which is made in japan . I opend the box and tried it with my camera for around 6 shoots. 2 shoots without reflector and 2 shoots with 100 reflector and the last 2 shoots with 120 reflector . Then I noticed black burn on the steobe front glass and the reflector . I believe Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe still have a quality issues even after moving to japan. Now I Don't now which strobe to buy . I have a TTL converter that works with YS-D2 and also Inon z240 .I'm not sure If I go for Z330 it will work or not . Any recommendations

Attachments

• 20180313_215845.jpg
    20180313_215845.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 20180313_215940.jpg
    20180313_215940.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 386
  • 20180313_215845.jpg
    20180313_215845.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 339
I have been using my Inon z-240 since 2013 (around 12 or 13 trips)...Zero issues. If I were to buy new, Z330 no doubt.

We have three YS-D2 in the family. One of them burned out after few dives (see e.g. YS-D2 Strobe burnt bulb after 24 dives). I am not the only one to whom this happened...
When they don't burn out (others have leak problems) they work fine...

So far no clear statement from Sea&Sea whether the problems have been fixed with the Japanese production, only rumors by posters. I believe it is unlikely that the burning problem is fixed now, as it is still the same construction. Just too much power and too little heat conducted to the water...

Retra strobes appear to be very robust with respect to overheating, but no personal experience with them (metal housing, quartz front glass - with Sea&Sea (Inon also?) this is all plastic).

I cannot recommend Sea&Sea strobes, based on my experience...

Wolfgang

I have 2 x YS-D2 one yellow, one black. I have not had the burn out issue, however, I have had nothing but issues with them syncing with my camera (Sony A6500). I am about to make a major upgrade (Canon 5D Mk iV) and will not even be considered Sea & Sea. Inon 330 or Retra for me and I have no experience with either unit. Right now no experience is better than the Sea & Sea experience...

I have been shooting Inon S-2000s for years on a T2i and after recently upgrading to a Canon 5DM4 I have I decided I want something wider and brighter. I got my first Z330 yesterday and will get the second as soon as my shop gets some more. They are really highly anticipated and hard to get. My shop is getting requests from all over the world for them. No one has them in stock so if you are interested get your order in ASAP. Inon produces slowly but with good quality. I am excited to get them in the water in the Turks and Caicos in May!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom