Avid BC / Broken strap holder (lower)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank straps ripped out of the vest!

My Sherwood Avid BC has the same exact problem. As I was cleaning my dive equipment yesterday the top tank strap fell off, upon closer inspection I notice the bottom strap was hanging on by a thin strip of plastic. Thankfully no one was injured. This tank could have fallen out of the BC anytime I was exiting or entering the boat. Major safety issue!!!! Highly disappointed in Sherwood. The BC was purchased 3 years ago and I have used the BC about 30 times. The BC has always been stored inside my home in the closet. Definitely a manufacturing defect. I will contact Sherwood SCUBA regarding the defect.

My old DACOR BC is still going strong!

good luck with Sherwood customer service......been there and done that without any productive/positive results...i hope you have better results than me.......i continue to boycott anything the says Sherwood on it.....the only recourse i have as a bottom dwelling consumer.

Tank straps ripped out of the vest!

My Sherwood Avid BC has the same exact problem. As I was cleaning my dive equipment yesterday the top tank strap fell off, upon closer inspection I notice the bottom strap was hanging on by a thin strip of plastic. Thankfully no one was injured. This tank could have fallen out of the BC anytime I was exiting or entering the boat. Major safety issue!!!! Highly disappointed in Sherwood. The BC was purchased 3 years ago and I have used the BC about 30 times. The BC has always been stored inside my home in the closet. Definitely a manufacturing defect. I will contact Sherwood SCUBA regarding the defect.

My old DACOR BC is still going strong!

Mark:

Contact Sherwood Scuba. I am sure that with a copy of your purchase receipt and images of the issue, they will be glad to help you. I have been diving since 74 and teaching since 76. Almost all scuba vendors are warranting their BCs for 2 years. I'd bet they will help you, especially if your BC is only 3 years. Their email is:

Services@diverscosupply.com

Mike

Just had same problem This is a 5 year older avid bcd with only 5 dives
Hello i was diving Sunday on the 13-08-2017 with my avid bcd with only 5 dives

After 6 minutes in the water at 40 feet depth i start feeling the regulator pulling right out of my mouth i try to figure it out what's happening

my buddy try to attach the floating tank with the diving flag rope and give me signe to end the dive and surfacing

In the boat we was shocked to see that both straps attached to the tank and it's out of the backpack. The plastic parts that hold the cam band to the tank completely fell off during the dive

Attachments

• 20170814_110154.jpg
    20170814_110154.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
dude; i feel your pain.....

I have the same problem: all the plastic strap holders of my BCD Avid has broken and I'll try to repair them my self. As I lost the broken parts, please, If someone have a old BCD Sherwood Avid, could send me or post some pictures of these pieces for my reference?

I had the same problem with the tank strap attachment .I threw it in the trash and bought a Scuba pro glide. That's really the best way to fix the Sherwood BCD.

I had same problem ,threw it in the trash and bought a Scuba Pro bcd.best fix for a Sherwood .
Dive masters in Cozumel mostly use scuba pro bcd's they dive almost every day and Scuba pro holds up to the task.

Had the same issue with a family members Avid. Im pretty handy so I was able to fabricate a new and improved tank holder. using a small sheet of black ABS plastic. I will post some pics of it in a day or 2. It now works really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom