South Florida where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiverjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I'm planning a trip down to south florida for this mid-May. I haven't a clue who is who down there, I was hoping I can get a few shop/charter recommendations.

I'll be staying in Lauderdale by the Sea with family and want to stay close for some of the easiest diving possible (will have a new OW diver with me). I was thinking south florida diving headquarters? Anyone else to consider?

Afterwards I'll be on my own for 3-4 days and am willing to go just about anywhere(I haven't booked lodging yet), below is something along the lines of what I'm looking for:
  • looking to build some time on CCR, so longer dives and CCR friendly a big plus
  • would like to stay on the shallow(er) side (~100 ft)
  • charter that runs morning and afternoon trips, if they have a bulk discount for 6-8 trips that would be great
I've been to key largo a few times but have never been there without getting blown out so I'm a little hesitant to go that way, lodging also seems much more expensive down there. The Jupiter and WPB areas look like some great diving, though I'm not super interested in baited shark dives or pulling a float flag. I was looking at the Jupiter dive center boats, Narcosis, etc...but really don't know who is who? Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks!

Hi @njdiverjoe

Sorry, I can't help you with Lauderdale by the Sea. Both JDC and Narcosis put a DM in the water with a flag, you could avoid carrying your own. JDC has bottom times of 45 min, run times low 50s minutes. Narcosis has run times of about an hour. I've not seen a rebreather on either, doesn't mean you could not dive one, you'd have to contact them. I'm sure you'd be limited to 2 rec profiles. Both run AM and PM on the weekends. JDC starts running a weekday PM again in mid-May. JDC has a 3 tanker on Friday and Sunday, less, more experienced divers, and opportunity to dive Deep Ledge on Friday.

If you want to try Boynton Beach, you could use Underwater Explorers, Starfish, or Loggerhead. None put a DM in the water, you'd have to carry your own flag or go with others. All three have a loose run time of an hour. Both UE and Starfish are rebreather friendly, have not seen one on Loggerhead but don't know policy. Again, you'd be limited to 2 rec profiles. Depending on conditions and divers, you might have an opportunity to dive the Castor. Later in the season, a double on the Castor is not uncommon and rebreather divers have the option for a single long run, very unlikely in May.

Message me with specific questions

Good diving, Craig

Stuart Scuba runs boats from Palm Beach, Jupiter and Stuart. This is a tech saavy operation with the most experienced staff I've ever seen. That was a big reason why i agreed to teach for them. (www.stuartscuba.com)

...looking to build some time on CCR,

...longer dives and CCR friendly a big plus

It might help others chime in with additional information
*) What CCR model are you diving ?
*) What certs do you hold (wreck/tech/tri/etc)
*) Are you looking to do wrecks, photography{what subjects} or just swim & look?

Most CCR divers have a detailed plan for each dive that they want to accomplish.
A CCR diver can push 120min dive and drift 2 miles doing deco, when the boat's plan is OC be on the surface in 45.
The harder part of your trip is to find a CCR dive buddy who matches your plan.

It might help others chime in with additional information
*) What CCR model are you diving ?
*) What certs do you hold (wreck/tech/tri/etc)
*) Are you looking to do wrecks, photography{what subjects} or just swim & look?

Most CCR divers have a detailed plan for each dive that they want to accomplish.
A CCR diver can push 120min dive and drift 2 miles doing deco, when the boat's plan is OC be on the surface in 45.
The harder part of your trip is to find a CCR dive buddy who matches your plan.

My "detailed plan" is to do some easy diving in nice warm water sticking to OC profiles. :D

In all seriousness though I have some tech certs (an/dp, technical rescue, ...) but am new to CCR, thus the easy diving. And yes before scubaboard police arrests me -- no I don't plan on being a solo inexperienced CCR diver.

The most obvious dive center near you that is CCR friendly is Pompano Dive Center, just a few miles from where you are staying. They are in the same Marina as South Florida Diving Headquarters. PDC normally runs a lot tech trips, and a number of rebreather instructors use their boat.

This year has been a bit funny with them. They used to run two boats, but now they have only one, and it is often committed to shark tagging operations. That creates scheduling problems, as their boat may not be available on the days you want to dive.

For shore diving, look at Gold Coast Scuba and South Florida Beach Divers. Both amazing. I signed up with "meetup" app and get updates all the time. Also check out southfloridadiving.com get some good boat dives in there. nice selection.

Don't forget about hitting up Blue Heron Bridge for shore diving.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it!

I've seen rebreather divers doing rec dives on Jupiter Dive Center's boat. Note that when I lived in Florida, JDC periodically did a deco dive on Jupiter's deep reef (roughly 80-90 at the top of the ledge that goes down to 140 or so, at least by my memory). I did a couple of the deco trips on OC. These are not baited dives

I've also seen rebreather divers doing rec dives on Pompano Dive Centers boat and on South Florida HQ's small boat when they've dove deeper sites like the Rodeo 25.

I've seen rebreather divers on Conch Republics boat (might have been a class though) and Captain's Corner (both in the Keys)

All this information is a couple of years old and might be out-of-date

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom