Do DMs log their dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If diving as a paid DM on a dive, logging would be a good idea just from a liability perspective. At minimum, I’d want to log the Customer names and our dive profile just in case something came back that might bite me.

Many do log every exposure to hyperbaric conditions, others log things they personally want to remember. Others do it for bragging rights. With dive computers automatically logging I do think it's pretty common.

Regards,
Cameron

I was just wondering. I see many here go on vacation and try to do 5 dives per day to get in as much bubble blowing as possible.
Looking at the numbers of dives members here post, I can't imagine a DM at AKR, for example, who does several dives per day, everyday, what his total would be.
Just idle thoughts while I am waiting for stuff to dry out. We had a drain pipe under the bathtub let go, and it made a mess.

I was only a guide once, but assisted on OW courses 4 years. Logged them all. Got signatures from all instructors I assisted, and as many students as possible. I don't THINK most of the other DMs at the shop logged such. Then again, my OCD.
I kept a separate log in the back of the book for info. on each course--instructor name, number of students, my duties, etc. But I also included the ocean checkout dives as regular numbered dives in my main log.
A favourite 2014 moment:
Student: "Why do you want us to sign your book?"
Me: I dunno, maybe in 30 years I can look back and see if I remember you."
"How old are you?"
"60".
"Good luck with that."

Last edited:
I'v seen guys log pool dives and some who have never seen active log since training.

As a commercial diver I must. Since I still dive for fun I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom