Trip Report Red Sea Aggressor trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the Red Sea Aggressor was formerly the Suzanna I looking at the pics. I did a trip on her October 2004 and then she wasn't the newest so it would be a bit older design.

Correct. In fact, the cruise director explained she is still officially registered as the "Suzanna I" and uses that name on the marine radio.

Thanks for the great (and very timely) trip report. After a not-so-great trip on the Maldives Aggressor (sort of) in January, I got a voucher to use and have ended up on the Red Sea Aggressor in June. I'm working on plans for a couple of days to acclimate in Hurghada then on to the RSA. There's mention of a lot of drama at the Hurghada airport when you arrive and get your visa - can you fill me in on the process? After 24 hours of travel from TX, I'd like to know what to expect since I'll be braindead :) Also, we found out lots of info about places to go/stay/visit in Maldives at the post-trip debrief evening. Can you fill me in on anything I need to know about the post-trip do's and dont's? (I'm arranging for a ride to and a day room in Hurghada on the last day since we don't leave until 8pm.) Thanks again and thanks for letting me pick your brain.

I found the Hurghada airport the same as any other. Aggressor had people whisk me right through customs and immigration and I actually remarked how easy it was. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Post trip do's and don'ts...well, it sounds like you have limited time before heading back. I would just crash at the hotel you have arranged. If you are staying at the Marriot there isn't a ton to do in that specific area. There beach is pretty nice though and it's nice to just sit on a lounge chair there after being on the boat for a week. There are plenty of souvenirs in the airport if you want to grab something before you head back. I actually thought some of the stuff was nicer and surprisingly cheaper in the airport and you didn't have to deal with the aggressive hawking

Drama? My experience was like Scott's. You walk up to the booth in the airport that sells the visa, hand them your passport and (I forgot how many) US dollars for the visa fee, they give you the visa, and you're on your way. The driver/guide Aggressor had arranged for us met us at the airport, walked us through and to the waiting van. So simple a diver could do it!

We overnighted at the Marriott beach resort, the luxury of which was a bit wasted on us since we had so little time. The area around the resort seemed like in better economic times it would have been bustling with nightclubs and that sort of thing. We walked around looking for dinner and had a hard time finding Egyptian food--every place seemed to advertise pizza, etc. Hurghada appeared to us to be a blue collar international beach resort town, not exactly a place to soak in Egyptian culture and history. We were pleased to move on to Luxor the next morning.

Thanks for the trip report... as I'll be living in Khartoum for the next few years, it's nice to start to get a handle on the major dive spots near the school. Looking at the average water temps in the chart above, I'm thinking I probably should bring my 5mm full suit (I live in Philippines now and use a 1mm full when it's cold or a 3mm shorty other times).

Thanks for the trip report... as I'll be living in Khartoum for the next few years, it's nice to start to get a handle on the major dive spots near the school. Looking at the average water temps in the chart above, I'm thinking I probably should bring my 5mm full suit (I live in Philippines now and use a 1mm full when it's cold or a 3mm shorty other times).

for diving, Sudan is even better than Egypt, that's what they say....

but be aware that Khartoum is +/- at 680 kms from port Sudan....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom