Next step for a new diver I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget Clown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We just got back from Thailand and finished our AOW. With 21 dives we are far from anything but a beginner and are ready to take the next step. We did the Padi OW and AOW in pretty ideal conditions and now are back in Washington State. My Wife gets cold in the tropics and our plan is to do the AOW SSI course as it seems to go more in-depth on the core topics (buoyancy, Deep, Night). Should we do this?, should we do dry suit first?, or any other options. We don't feel like we are going to die or not be able to control our buoyancy, but are far from feeling like we could lead a dive.

You'll probably not learn anything new taking a repeat course. Your best bet may be to gain some experience diving doing these type of dives with other local divers, then assess what you wish to do in terms of training. Drysuit may be a good class given your location.

I'd suggest taking a drysuit class as your next step. The water is chilly up there in the PNW, and you're more likely to keep diving if you aren't shivery and miserable.

You are here on SB so that's a great start. My advise would be to look into the local scuba club and gain experience. I dove quite a bit in the beginning but didn't really know what good diving was supposed to look like - Didn't know what I didn't know and had looking back, I had some bad (risky) habits. Wasn't until I took an Invasion trip and saw more of the technical side that my eyes were opened. Look from some really solid divers and ask some questions. Even if you have no intention of ever going tech, it doesn't hurt to take a look and pick up some knowledge. DIR and GUE have a lot of "thou shalt" in their approach to diving - They do things for a reason and while all of it as a whole is not my cup of tea, sipping from it, seems appropriate IMHO. Mostly just go dive

The advice I give my students is "go diving". Get some dives under your belt. Given where you are, a drysuit class would be a logical next step. But other than that...just go diving! Dive clubs are great resources.

You'll probably not learn anything new taking a repeat course. Your best bet may be to gain some experience diving doing these type of dives with other local divers, then assess what you wish to do in terms of training. Drysuit may be a good class given your location.
I know we wont learn anything new but its my understanding the ssi is more indepth and after talking to my local dive shop will also entail leading dives. Its cheaper than hiring someone to go with us so we thought it couldn't hurt. Thoughts?

I know we wont learn anything new but its my understanding the ssi is more indepth and after talking to my local dive shop will also entail leading dives.

My understanding is that the SSI AOW is a series of full specialties. Since you have certified AOW, you might think about choosing just the individual specialty(s) that you feel would improve your diving and take them, rather than ones of others choosing.

I would also recommend rescue certification as a very usefull class as well.

Bob

My understanding is that the SSI AOW is a series of full specialties. Since you have certified AOW, you might think about choosing just the individual specialty(s) that you feel would improve your diving and take them, rather than ones of others choosing.

I would also recommend rescue certification as a very usefull class as well.

Bob
Its cheaper to take the course than pick the 4 specialties so that was why we are thinking that may be a good route to go. We also thought it would help us find some new local divers.

Its cheaper to take the course than pick the 4 specialties so that was why we are thinking that may be a good route to go. We also thought it would help us find some new local divers.

If rescue is in the mix, and you would choose the specialties they are including, it sounds good. Even if you took them individually over time, and were hanging around the dive shop, you would also meet the local divers. Just a matter of deciding on the best course of action to your goal, it's all good.

Bob

Last edited:
ANY class you take will entail more diving - more diving equals more experience. If you're taking a class (with a good instructor) that means you'll have eyes on you while diving and more opportunity to have bad habits corrected early on. I vote for any class, augmented with diving every opportunity you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom