Yoke to DIN inserts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean Din to Yoke so you can use a yoke reg on a DIN tank? I can't answer your question but if you want to be sure, get both. 300 BAR DIN Insert | AP Diving for example. Alternatively, you could by the yoke to din conversion for your regulator. That's what I did. It's surprisingly simple to swap the regulator to one or the other. I'm not a regulator tech, just a regular diver - it really is that easy.
That adapter is for a specific purpose, used to attach a Yoke to DIN cylinder is not it. I wouldn't trust the Yoke O ring to stay in place at the higher pressures,

I am trying to get some insight into whether the 200 bar DIN tank the "standard" rental tank in the Middle East. We will be doing some traveling in Egypt and Oman, and plan to dive a couple of days in Hurghada and Oman, but am planning to bring my own gear, especially regs/computer. My SP regs are yoke, and I know there are 200 bar DIN inserts available that I can put on a DIN tank so I can use my own regs, but the inserts only work on 200 bar DIN tanks. I would also assume the dive ops have the inserts, but would feel more comfortable if I have a few spares of my own. Recommendations? Thank you.
From my experience diving in different parts of the world, including Egypt and Oman its divers with DIN 1st stages who have the problem and most operators are set up for Yoke regs. Rather than use an adapter I carry both the Yoke and DIN parts for my 1st Stage, and just fit whichever is needed.

From my experience diving in different parts of the world, including Egypt and Oman its divers with DIN 1st stages who have the problem and most operators are set up for Yoke regs. Rather than use an adapter I carry both the Yoke and DIN parts for my 1st Stage, and just fit whichever is needed.

I agree with Edward3c, I've dove all over Oman and as I dive DIN, the bigger problem was getting the tank inserts to knock loose as they are sometimes "welded" in there. I carry a hex key and a cheater bar to get the needed torque for the stubborn inserts.

That adapter is for a specific purpose, used to attach a Yoke to DIN cylinder is not it. I wouldn't trust the Yoke O ring to stay in place at the higher pressures,
Depends on the adapter. The European ones from Blue Steel (Italy) are the cat's patootie. I've used them at 235 bar with no issues.

For the OP. I'd be more concerned with trying to fit your A-clamp over a 300 bar valve. Most yokes won't stretch. Have you tried?

For the OP. I'd be more concerned with trying to fit your A-clamp over a 300 bar valve. Most yokes won't stretch. Have you tried?

I believe the 300 bar valves are designed to ensure you can't fit an A- clamp to them. They are deeper (more threads) than the 232 bar version.

The 232 bar version is 5 threads (1" - 25mm) deep. The 300 bar version is 7 threads deep (1.4" - 35mm) deep. This ensures a 232 bar regulator cannot be fitted to a 300bar cylinder. However, a 300 bar regulator will fit a 232 bar cylinder.

Last edited:
Also even with an insert for the 300 bar valve many do not have the indent for the yoke/A clamp screw to fit into.

It is a far more common affair to use the adapter to allow a DIN first to attach to a yolk valve. I have all DIN regs and carry the adapter when I travel. I also carry the Hex wrench needed to remove the adapter plug contained in Pro valves.

I carry metric and SAE hex wrenches for removing the DIN insert and have actually encountered DIN inserts with 3 different sized holes. IIRC, I have come across 6mm, 1/4", and a 3rd size that was bigger than either, so I couldn't get it out and had to use my DIN-to-Yoke adapter instead.

What Gareth J said is what my research has found so far concerning the fact my yoke clamp will not fit on a 300 bar DIN valve. It looks like the 200 bar DIN are the common rental tanks where I will be diving and they supposedly have inserts available. However, as per suggestions on this thread, I am going to take several inserts with me just in case, and I can easily see inserts getting overlooked as the tanks are switched. I would kick myself if I missed a dive for lack of an inexpensive insert. This was a very good learning experience for me with no prior experience in DIN, and once again SB folks came through with outstanding advice. Thanks to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom