Options for Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I've heard Dive Into Ambon is great. Any other suggestions?

They get high marks, but I've not used them. I used Blue Motion but am a bit reticent to recommend them, they are a budget operation along with Blue Rose and @Luko had some problems with them. Yoy might have read our experiences on another thread. Then you have Maluku which I've heard good things about.
It's either spendy or budget in Ambon.
The diving was really great few dives I did. When I was there I then went on the crossing trip and followed that up with another LOB in Raja Ampat so i only spent a few days in Ambon but was impressed with the critter density and diversity. And lately they have had the very rare and elusive Psychedelic Frog fish sightings, one reason i spent a few days there in Nov 2015 but it wasnt till 2017, I think till it popped up again and then they had 4 different ones.

Only if I have a sponsor, aka a "Dive Daddy". I'll even take a "Dive Momma" - beggars can't be choosers. :D Cheng Ho is another option for Komodo in that same time frame as a last resort....

Unfortunately “Dive Daddy” can only afford 2-week vacation (including traveling) for that time. That’s why he only pick the Ring of Fire trip in either 9-19 Sep, 2019 with Blue Manta or 22 Sep-Oct 3, 2019 with Mermaid I. Now just a matter of which one can give him better bang for the bucks.

How about diving in Maumere itself with Official Website |Sea World Club Resort, Waiara, Maumere, Indonesia?

I’ve never been there. You could be our guinea pig & tell us about the diving with them there. :D
dived with them twice.
The resort is not bad, very nice black sand beach, some comfortable concrete bungalows.
On the other hand the dive center is old and pretty much sleepy, their senior guide who was there at the time of the Flores tsunami (92)has left for the competition a few years ago. that said they have a big boat where it's pleasant to spend the day trip to the islands, once the noisy engine stops.
Dive wise don't expect much from Maumere bay, nice corals but no more fish, it's sometimes sad on some sites not to see any thing moving in the water.
They have a dive site in Waiterang where there is a wrecked japanese barge from WW2, nice macro life around, but nothing really super exciting.

You are all a great source of information and super helpful as always. I love it! Thank you!

I checked out Current Junkies and I love the concept, especially the smaller, intimate group and setting. Unfortunately, they only depart on Mondays and that won't work for my schedule. The name of their boat (Busy Girl) and their dinghy (Busy Boy) is so cute! Uber Scuba looks good. I will have to compare that to the Mastro Aldo and see what their 2019 departures are. The sacrifice with Uber Scuba is no AC. Do you know if they have 24 hour power or what the schedule is? Thank you!

Next time, all we need are two other divers and we can book the Busy Girl. The owners of Uber Scuba and their guides are wonderful. Uber also provides a more intimate experience. Although I always use AC, I found that its not necessary in Alor, nor is AC needed on along the eastern Sumbawa.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely keep them in mind for accommodations and day boat dives. It looks like they also have a liveaboard option but I am not impressed by the rates, schedule, or the accommodations/actual boat so I think you are right here in that the accommodations and speed boat options are good. Thank you!

Did you check out the Wallacea? Jérôme and his staff are very experienced and run a super chill LoB.

Did you check out the Wallacea? Jérôme and his staff are very experienced and run a super chill LoB.

Oops! It looks like a great option. It’s a bit more than the others I’m considering as well. Fortunately for my wallet, it looks like the dates won’t work out but maybe a good option for others. Thank you!

dived with them twice.
The resort is not bad, very nice black sand beach, some comfortable concrete bungalows.
On the other hand the dive center is old and pretty much sleepy, their senior guide who was there at the time of the Flores tsunami (92)has left for the competition a few years ago. that said they have a big boat where it's pleasant to spend the day trip to the islands, once the noisy engine stops.
Dive wise don't expect much from Maumere bay, nice corals but no more fish, it's sometimes sad on some sites not to see any thing moving in the water.
They have a dive site in Waiterang where there is a wrecked japanese barge from WW2, nice macro life around, but nothing really super exciting.

Thanks for the review of Maumere diving. I’ll go to Alor instead next time I have a chance to visit that part of Indonesia.

The sacrifice with Uber Scuba is no AC. Do you know if they have 24 hour power or what the schedule is? Thank you!
I did a Liveaboard with Uber Scuba in August of 2017, it was great, small numbers on the boat and a professional team. I don't recall lack of AC being a problem, as for power I seem to remember they'd turn off at night just after dinner and as everyone was going to bed. But have it on during the day so you could charge all your stuff in between dives no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom