Dry glove system for Santi smart seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe with your suit. It will never happen with my Santi, no matter what strange movement you can make with your first/wrist, the seal will never break.

If they are that tight maybe trim then back a touch? How difficult is it for you to get your hands through them when you put on your suit?

The flexing trick even worked on my old viking suit with the super thick and tight conical HD seals. Had to put KY on to get my hands through them things...

Why you would expect that? The seal is there to "seal", no matter what your hand movement is, it should keep the water (and hence the air) out. You gonna use your dry suit in warm (or less cold) water as well, when you don't need to wear the dry gloves, and you won't trim your self to the point that it will leak with a simple hand movement.

After lubricating the seal between dives with silicone grease it started snapping much firmer. Completely dry dives to 60ft in 1 C water last weekend... This Santi glove ring seems to simply work.

I put some silicone grease on mine too, and it makes a world of difference. Now they snap on and off with the nice "click" that they show on the video.

I agree, very very happy with this system. :)

You guys are way over complicating this. If I forget to tuck my under gloves into the seals or they slip out just making a fist, flexing, and rolling your wrists around is enough to break the seal and allow the gloves to equalize.
Thanks SO MUCH for your post mmadiver: you litterally made my day by simplifying the dryglove setup which i am contemplating :D

My reason for going drygloves isn’t water temperature, but finally stopping water from entering drysuits via wrist seals. Yeah, i am one of these guys with sharp tendons, and whatever the wrist seal type (latex, neoprene, double neoprene, silicon, tight silicon) i still feel water clearly getting in when i make specific hand gestures.
So the PITA i have when not using drygloves will actually turn into an advantage when using drygloves :D

Any more real world feedback on Santi's dry gloves?

Well I have done a few more dry dives with them. They still seem easy to dislodge, but I haven't had any problems in real life.

Any fellow Santi dry glove ring users with more experience?
I seem to have persistent leaking problems, not often, but enough to make them feel unreliable.
Sometimes when entering water, the gloverings haven't sealed completely and leak. It seems difficult to get a good feel whether gloves are correctly sealed or not.
Otherwise happy. During dives they stay completely dry, if properly sealed when entering water.

Any fellow Santi dry glove ring users with more experience?
I seem to have persistent leaking problems, not often, but enough to make them feel unreliable.
Sometimes when entering water, the gloverings haven't sealed completely and leak. It seems difficult to get a good feel whether gloves are correctly sealed or not.
Otherwise happy. During dives they stay completely dry, if properly sealed when entering water.

Are you putting silicone grease on the seals every couple of dives? I find they are very difficult to get snapped on properly when I need to re-grease them, but when they have been freshly lubed up they snap right on and give a nice convincing click like in the video (link below). When they are in need of more lube it's more difficult to get them on and they don't give that nice click that lets you know they are sealed. I just use a little tub of silicone grease that I keep in my dive bag every couple of dives.

Another thought - when you installed the dry gloves did you make sure to trim off the excess from the glove so it's not interfering with a good seal? I had to install mine watching the video. Dry gloves are cheap. I ordered a pair of each of these brands and they all seem pretty similar (like dishwashing gloves but thankfully black). Do be careful when trimming the excess glove to keep your cut exactly parallel to the cuff. These gloves will tear easily up into the body of the glove if you are hasty. I ruined one that way when installing it.

Ansell
Mapa
Showa

Maybe install a new pair and make sure it's not the installation that's causing the leak?

Since I started lubing mine up with silicone grease, I haven't had a leak except when I put a hole in a glove (I think). Oddly I could not see the hole, but it leaked even when I put the suit in the bathtub. I swapped out the glove and it no longer leaks.

I hope you can get yours working well. I have no experience with other systems but I love having dry gloves. Especially since I get leaking around my wrist tendons when using wrist seals, the dry gloves have made cold water diving much more pleasant for me.

Yes, I use silicone grease. And yes, I have installed the gloves following that video.
The leaky part is definitely the seal between glove ring and drysuit sleeve, they is just loose.
I have a pair of Santi gloves that work better.
I also bought another set of rings and installed quite thin nitrile Tegera gloves on them. These are much looser, don't seal well and are very easily dislodged.
I must be missing something since I can't figure out why glove material effects that much to the seal between rings.

Another thought - when you installed the dry gloves did you make sure to trim off the excess from the glove so it's not interfering with a good seal?

Problem solved. I realized I had only occasionally gotten a perfect seal. Reinstalling gloves, trimming the glove skirt and silicone lubing the glove ring helped and now I got a nice firm snapping seal. How stupid I feel now after a dozen of dives with only partially attached drygloves. Which by the way were perfectly dry most of the time... :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom