SF2 or REvo rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So given what you say above, compare Revo to the Optima. Have you any time on the Optima?

Hi Doc,

No personal experience diving the optima but I've been on boats with quite a few optima divers and they seem to like them.

Are you certified on any other rebreathers? I thought the Revo was great. I even said so here multiple times. Until I tried a BUNCH of other rebreathers. Today, I'm certified on 5 and teach for two. I'll never dive a Revo again.

Yes. It's ALL relative. Which five did you choose to cert and, if we place deep caving as the environment where reliability and recovery are most critical, what brand / model would you recommend?

Yes. It's ALL relative. Which five did you choose to cert and, if we place deep caving as the environment where reliability and recovery are most critical, what brand / model would you recommend?

I'll respond later today. I don't have the time to address this properly right now. There are lots of great rebreathers out there. There are a few I would never dive again. Revo is one them.

I'll respond later today. I don't have the time to address this properly right now. There are lots of great rebreathers out there. There are a few I would never dive again. Revo is one them.

Curious to know why? Have been diving my Revo for four years and absolutely love it compared to the four other CCRs I'm certed on.

Super busy and haven't had much time to post.

In short -- In perfect trim, it breathes like crap.
You can't recover from a flood.
The ADV is a joke
It looks like someone in shop class machined it.

Sure, as a new ccr diver, I believed the hype about dual scrubbers save lives and five sensors and RMS. Now that I have some time on the loop, I know those things are a gimmick and unnecessary. I'd rather a ccr that breathes perfectly, trims out nice and can recover from a flood. Also, for my 12k, if it didn't look like hand cut hand bent, hand welded sheet metal, that'd be great too.

In short -- In perfect trim, it breathes like crap.

You can't recover from a flood.

The ADV is a joke

It looks like someone in shop class machined it.

What total crap mate, you sound like a butthurt instructor that could not get a gig as an instructor on the unit and now puts the unit down any opportunity.

WOB is perfectly fine, comparable to many other units, both back and front mounted lungs.

The ADV works fine, adjustable to whatever activation resistance you like.

As for construction you clearly have no idea.

As for flood recovery, don't flood the bloody thing in the first place, with less O rings, T pieces, lungs encased in titanium/ stainless box, gag strap keeping mouth piece in place, a flood is less likely to happen in a rEvo than any other unit.

In short one of the most innovative units on the market, but occasionally dissed by those caught up in the small world of dive politics.

Wondering about this arguments as well.

Personally, I see flood recovery as a 'Wow I almost died lets continue on the loop' feature. On all SCR/CCR I dove so far, I only flooded a loop once- that was caused by a cracked plastic-plumbing on an Inspi. Nothing you could recover there.

For me, the arguments about the titanium casing are just a matter of taste. I had my unit falling down during rough sea more than once and I believe most other units would have smashed to pieces. (would concider the JJ being of similar toughness perhaps)

Concerning the ADV: Yeah its a construction made with 'off-the-shelf' items found in any diveshop. But this makes it great for me- being able to quickly (and safely) repair the unit with no delays for spares sent in.

Maybe its a matter of where you dive and what support you have available 24/7. Could imagine someone living in US and not travelling further than maybe Hawaii would prefer another unit and send it in for regular inspection- not conducting any repairs on his own.

I'd compare the WOB with the JJ, perhaps slightly better, but as said thats a feeling not a measurement. Trimming a rEvo requires a bit of thinking and experimentation- agreed. During Drysuit dives I normally just have 2kg spare lead to trim well on the Micro version and 2l steel bottles.

-- However this discussion reminds me on a CCR comparison sheet I saw years back (thinking it was made by rebreatherworld- but yet unsure) - googled around but have no clue if there was any updated version available. Someone has an idea if there is such current one to keep myself updated?

What total crap mate, you sound like a butthurt instructor that could not get a gig as an instructor on the unit and now puts the unit down any opportunity.

WOB is perfectly fine, comparable to many other units, both back and front mounted lungs.

As for flood recovery, don't flood the bloody thing in the first place, with less O rings, T pieces, lungs encased in titanium/ stainless box, gag strap keeping mouth piece in place, a flood is less likely to happen in a rEvo than any other unit.

In short one of the most innovative units on the market, but occasionally dissed by those caught up in the small world of dive politics.

Mine flooded when the nut on the opv failed inside the counterlung 2000 feet back in a cave. Had nothing to do with an o-ring.

I quit the revo long before becoming an instructor.

Anyone who says the Revo breathes like every other rebreather is either a filthy liar, never dove another rebreather, or delusional.

Can you scooter straight down to 200' and have the adv keep the loop perfect and ppo2 perfect on a revo? You can on an Optima.

You think build quality is good? Maybe look at a liberty where every piece is CNC machined. It's put together looking like a Ferrari instead of a Yugo.

Some of the Revo is innovative, like dual scrubbers and RMS. But that innovation isn't necessary.

Your profile looks like the revo is your first and only unit. You're kinda looking like a fanboy if you got no other real ccr experience.

What other units are you certified on? Was the Revo your first unit to be certed on? If that's the only rebreather you're certed on, go ahead and exit now, as you have nothing to compare to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom