General Belize question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Canon G7-X that i am still waiting to use on a dive holiday, i have not had the chance to have one yet!

I will look forward to seeing anything you get with the G7-X; I have been following that camera, and the available housings as a potential upgrade. The last time I checked, the Ikelite housing didn't have an eTTL bulkhead for it. I use eTTL a lot on "normal" dives where I'm not fiercely concentrating on the photography; when I'm really focused on a particular shot or outcome I switch to manual on the strobes, take multiple shots, adjust the strobe power settings until i get what I'm looking for.

I have a Canon G7-X that i am still waiting to use on a dive holiday, i have not had the chance to have one yet!
INEXCUSABLE!!!!

You are ordered to go on a dive trip TIME NOW and resolve this.

Go tell your boss and significant other about these orders and report to the nearest dive boat for corrective training.

:)

INEXCUSABLE!!!!

You are ordered to go on a dive trip TIME NOW and resolve this.

Go tell your boss and significant other about these orders and report to the nearest dive boat for corrective training.

:)

ha ha, well if you are happy to fund it i will try and get the time off!! I need some vitamin sea...!!

well in that case you two, i will have to sue for something or other, get some cash, and get on my holiday! Everyone's a winner!!

well in that case you two, i will have to sue for something or other, get some cash, and get on my holiday! Everyone's a winner!!
Sorry. I'm a diver and in the military.

I have no cash! :)

Thank you all. I also forgot to ask, what sort of budget would i need for a few weeks in Belize? What are the rough costs for food/hotels etc, how far will my pound go so to speak?

I've taught in Belize a couple weeks every other year since 1993. A couple thoughts:

1. Atolls are better than other sites. Glovers Reef is cool.
2. The Blue Hole is a geologists dream, and as a seaweed guy with a light the last time I dove there I got a little excited. However, aside from the sharks it's not much in terms of animals. That said, most dive trips out there combine with a couple of really nice, diverse wall dives on the outside of Lighthouse.
3. Never been on a liveaboard, and the idea appeals to me, but as somebody "day tripping" I can't say I'm a fan of being where the liveaboards are. Having a small group diving and then suddenly having 30 people in vaguely organized masses dropping down on top of you turned me off a bit. But as I said, I'd love to be one of the 30! If you can afford it, I'd try to visit some sites in the south, AWAY from Ambergris/Caye Caulker and even Lighthouse. There's a lot to be said to be where others are not.
4. Time of year is fine.
5. Having been there pre- and post- hurricanes (long stretch with no hurricanes until about 1998, then 3 hurricanes in 4 years) and seen bleaching/recovery, I think there's room for multiple perspectives. The coral is a shambles after a major hurricane like Mitch, and nobody likes to look at bleached/dead coral. On the other hand, if all is going well for the corals it's pretty nice.

Enjoy!

Thank you all. I also forgot to ask, what sort of budget would i need for a few weeks in Belize? What are the rough costs for food/hotels etc, how far will my pound go so to speak?

I don't know pounds, sorry. The national currency is the Belize dollar. $2BZ = $1US. The USD is widely accepted and often preferred.

Rough costs are hard to answer as you can spend a lot by staying at a resort or very little by staying in a youth hostel. My guess is your budget is somewhere between the two.

I would budget $100/night hotel but be pleasantly surprised by the lower rates in the "slow" season if that's when you go. Groceries are limited and expensive but cheaper than they are in Hawaii. Good restaurants will probably run about $25 - $30 and up for dinner per person, but you can find plenty of hole in the wall type places and get a good meal for $10.

Things change considerably if you go out in the countryside. One of my favorite things to do when I'm travelling through is stop off at a house with a "food" sign. Usually sit on the front porch and eat a delicious home cooked meal of stewed chicken, rice and beans washed down with ice tea. Typically $5.

Back
Top Bottom