Steel Tanks at Warm Water Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think I will build my travel rig around using an AL80 and stick with a SS plate since I already know that works well.

I can get used to AL tanks after a day or two. I just wear a couple extra pounds and/or bring my heaviest reg (Poseidon Jetstream) and my heaviest fins (Hollis F1's) and travel with the least amount of floaty gear possible. OxyCheq Ultralite plate and Speed Harness with 18# wing, DR style steel cams and metal buckles on the harness and weight belt

FWIW, we have stainless backplates and they are great with AL cylinders. But for traveling I wish we had Al plates, the 3-4 pounds per plate adds up to 6-8 lbs for two of them and with luggage weight limits we always seem to be near them.

When diving we put weights in trim pockets attached the tank straps. They could easily hold a few extra pounds of weight so still weight belt.

Southeast Florida diving. Although you can use AL80s, almost everyone on the boat that you would be diving with are using HP100s. So unless you like to be the one ending the dive 15 minutes early....

Southeast Florida diving. Although you can use AL80s, almost everyone on the boat that you would be diving with are using HP100s. So unless you like to be the one ending the dive 15 minutes early....

Are the HP100s rentals or tanks that people own and bring onto the boat?

Are the HP100s rentals or tanks that people own and bring onto the boat?
In my experience, this abundance of up steels is a bit exaggerated, but compared to elsewhere there are a lot. You see plenty of Al80's and all shops rent them. Most shops will also have steel tanks available for rent, including some larger than 100 cu ft. Most locals that dive often have steels.

Personally, I have a mix of steel and aluminum tanks but use the steels way more often.

If you find a steel tank at a travel (warm water) locale, let me know
There are several Cozumel that use large steel tanks as a way to differentiate themselves from other shops. I dove with one last summer. Those 130’s were great!

Last edited:
We got steel tanks in the French West Indies, Martnique, St Barth, Les Saintes. the only Caribbean destinations I know of that use them.

Back
Top Bottom