Beginner photographer needs light advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Slave" means the outer flash is triggered by the light from the camera flash, not by an electric impulse via wire connection. A slave flash will work with any camera that has a built-in flash.
This is not always the case. modern cameras will have one or more pre flashes to help with focus the flash must be capable of working with the pre flash.

This is how the flash is supposed to attach to the camera (and is it really necessary to buy that black plastic piece for $30?)
Or is this a different method than the "slave" function?
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7RBiPGGB...lD_CableDoubleHoleRubberBushSet_on_PT-053.jpg

The optical fibre that syncs the strobe connects to this insert. Also the insert will block the cameras flash reducing backscatter.

I would consider getting a good strobe such as an Inon D2000 or S2000 and a reasonable tray and arm. The Inon strobes can be used in manual, auto and TTL modes and are capable of working with most cameras' pre-flash. These do have a good resale value but more importantly can be used on your next camera. Buying cheap will not have a good resale, and if you wish to progress will likely need to be replaced. If the components can be reused you can gradually evolve the camera kit.

To help minimise backscatter the strobe needs to be away from the camera, hence a tray and arm system are of value. Olympus provide a kit with the strobe mounted to the hot shoe, this really is not effective and will give significant backscatter.

A friend of mine bought the package linked to go with an Olympus TG4 and is very happy with it. INON D-2000 Strobe and Ultralight Arm System Package for Compact Housings- INON D-2000 strobe and Ultralight arm system package for the

The D2000 is compatible with the TG2 INON D-2000 Strobe [Compatibility]

Last edited:
@Tbar This is always the case. You select the simple flash mode w/o the pre-flashes on the camera and/or the number of pre-flashes after which to fire on the flash (if available). Please do not confuse the beginner with unnecessary details.

@Tbar This is always the case. You select the simple flash mode w/o the pre-flashes on the camera and/or the number of pre-flashes after which to fire on the flash (if available). Please do not confuse the beginner with unnecessary details.

tarponchik:
A slave flash will work with any camera that has a built-in flash

I am confused. Are you suggesting that pre-flash can be turned off on all cameras? Or are you saying that the TG02 has a slave function? A number of point and shoot cameras cannot have pre-flash turned off. Hence the strobe needs to be able to account for pre flash. For me this is a consideration when buying a strobe. A slave flash must be compatible with the camera. Hence I posted the compatibility list.

I will allow the OP to seek clarification if they need it.

Can you explain that? Thanks!
As you may have already figured out, underwater lighting is not a simple subject. Even us experts get confused and do not always agree. Other than we all agree that it IS expensive. And can become VERY expensive.

I agee with @wetb4igetinthewater in that performing some independent research will help you to get a better grasp of the basics. Then you can ask more specific targetted questions and get detailed answers.

There are several scuba related online resources out there (a few of which have active users on SB). A second resource is Guide for Beginners

One big issue related to using strobes is TTL vs Manual exposure control. Not all "available" strobes support "digital TTL" - so be aware of the capabilities of older used strobes. Not all digital TTL strobes work with every camera. Strobe manufacturers often provide camera compatibility charts.

So do some more reading & learning and come back with some detailed questons.

Will every strobe work with the Olympus TG camera that I have?.
No. Many (most? all?) new modern strobes should work. Many older used strobes will NOT work.

I own several wired slave strobes (YS50) that will not work with the TG2 due to lack of a wired sync cable. I also own an optical slave strobe (SB105) that I believe most probably will not work with the TG2 since the strobe does not support pre-flash.

Inexpensive strobes will be old and used. They most likely are fully functional. They most likely will not work with your camera.

"Slave" means the outer flash is triggered by the light from the camera flash, not by an electric impulse via wire connection. A slave flash will work with any camera that has a built-in flash.
Technically a slave is any offboard flash controlled by camera. Slaves can be triggered (sync)
- simple optically
- electronically via wires
- complex optically
The most common slaves today are optically triggered. So most people assume optical when the term slave is used. This assumption can add to the confusion.

Many high end slaves also support electronic wired sync in addition to optical sync.

Olympus cameras may also support a proprietary Olympus RC control (UFL1, UFL2, UFL3 strobes) were a complex series of optical flashes are emitted by the camera and read by the strobe.You may discover that your camera supports the Olympus line of strobes?

Edit: i got RF & RC confused. I updated to remove rf references.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every camera I own or had ever owned, including TG-4, had an option to turn the pre-flash off.The SL96101 is most likely an upgrade of SL961 which I suggested earlier.

Wow, that's a lot of information. Thanks for all the explanations and suggestions.
Any opinions of this? Of course the Leisure pro people said its great and a great price, but I cannot find anything about it, even on the Sealife website
Sealife SL96101
Or this
Sea & Sea YS-03 Universal Lighting System
The SL96101 appears to be NOS (New Old Stock) SL961 strobe with a newer tray / arm system. Via your favourite internet search, you should be able to find reviews from 2009ish as well as threads here on SB regarding this strobe.

This may or may not be a good spend. If you decide you hate uw photo or never progress past happy snaps then this will probably be fine.

If you get serious about uw photo then be prepared to toss this flash and buy something more high end. It should work okay but has some limitations out of the box
- recycle time of 7 seconds
- 100 flashes per battery set
- very narrow beam angle
- the arm is way too short with limited positioning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom