SDI and Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a TDI nitrox course and in the manual, "Understanding Nitrox" the tables are in the back. The instructor also used and went over the tables.

They had them in the 2008 owd video, and the tests used in Croatia still have around 5-10 questions based on them.

you can just mention we used to use them now we use computers , but if you want to you can get in-depth I usually teach a single dive dive profile...........but that's just the way I do it I believe students need to understand the tables

any good SDI instructor will include some teaching of tables. I explain tables and how they relate to dive computers in my OW classes.
Tables are important but who dives a square profile anyway?
:scubinq:

There are no tables in the SDI OW course, written stuff, Standards, or instructor presentation material.
You don't get tables until Divemaster.
Of course, an instructor may choose to add them in, but it is supplementary material and not required for certification.
When did this change. I did my SDI OW in 2014 and my OW packet had the tables included. And while they were mentioned in the classroom, the instructor didn't go over them. I still have mine but have only rarely even looked at them.

Just checked, found them in instructor course guidlines as mandatory, 2015 edition.

mandatory to give not teach sdi is computer based ow course that's why you get us navy tables

I rarely post, but tables have been on my mind recently. Hey Paul! So I want some small pocket-sized tables to use for dive planning. Obviously my cheap Mares Puck Pro doesn't have the same algorithm of a basic table so once you begin diving for the day your plan for follow-on dives will change. I do like however having tables to plan dives and I think that knowing the science is important.

So my question is: Which tables should I use (Nitrox)? Most people that I seem to have NAUI or PADI 32 and 36% tables that they use. They are a little different from eachother if I remember correctly. SDI/TDI seems to advocate using the Navy tables with the Equivalent Air Depth of your Nitrox blend (derived from a separate table). It is an extra step in reading the tables but no big deal to me. I was taught briefly how to read tables during the classroom review of my Open Water, Nitrox and Advanced course but none of that brief training would make me an expert. It was sufficient to me personally. So I saw a guy on youtube who said that theoretically you have to use the table from the agency who certified you or you are violating your certification. It makes sense to me but of course nowadays we could plan a dive off of anyones tables, but our computers will give us our no deco time regardless. So to me personally I see the tables as a good planning tool and as a back-up in case of computer malfunction but before I continue in my dive training I just want to make sure that I am doing it right. No pun intended haha. Thanks!

I did SDI. I have their tables. My class was 20-40% and the tables accommodated that. There was also a MOD table at the bottom for 1.4 and 1.6. (listed all the % from 20 to 40 and gave the MOD for that % at that PO2). I like an extra margin so took the formulas from the book and added another line for 1.2. I sometimes dive 30%. Or you may get a mix is off and need to do a quick check if is ok.

I am certified for Nitrox. Not for a table and not for some fixed values of 32 or 36.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom