leaky Santi drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that the problems were confined to the E.Motion. I haven't read about problems with the E.Lite.
Maybe mine was a lemon, but I heard a few years ago Santi could not keep up with orders and there were complaints about quality. Could well be the quality now is what it should be. E.Motion is more vulnerable than the E.Lite anyhow, but even the E.Lite can leak.

Score for now (just shy of 400 dives):
- Third zipper;
- Patched about 8 leaks;
- Replaced deflator;
- Replaced FlexSoles (thin variant) for socks because of leaks.

Not what I would consider convincing quality.

My friend has a Santi E.Motion suit for about 6 months, maybe 50+ dives and last night her boots were leaking terribly. She told me that it has been gradually getting worse every dive. The shop told her that it is a known issue.

I have two friends that have gotten brand new, made to measure E.Lite suits in the last year. Both of them received suits that were made too small.

With one, she got a custom undergarment made along with it. She could barely get the undersuit on and then could barely get the suit on over it. She tried an off-the-rack undergarment and was then able to get the suit on. She had lost some weight between ordering the suit and receiving it, so her measurements were actually slightly smaller. She has now gotten to dive it some and no leaks that I have heard about.

With the other, he first ordered a made to measure Santi heated undergarment. The undergarment came and fit perfectly. But, then he could not get his DUI dry suit on over the new Santi undergarment. So, he ordered the Santi E.Lite to be made using the same measurements that were used for the undergarment. The E.Lite came and he can't get it on over the Santi undergarment. Of course, Santi initially responded with a statement that he must have given them bad measurements. Even though they made him a perfect undergarment using the same measurements. Then they asked him to measure again, with video. His dealer took the measurements and they actually came out slightly smaller than the measurements he originally gave. This is still ongoing but the latest word is that after Santi reps watched the video of him being re-measured, they determined they will add 5 cm to the chest, waist and hips of the drysuit. 5 CM!!

He wishes he could say whether his leaks or not.

I have two friends that have gotten brand new, made to measure E.Lite suits in the last year. Both of them received suits that were made too small.
. . .

My suit (purchased 2 years ago) fit properly, but this does bring to mind Santi's response when I sent them my measurements. "Are you SURE your waist measurement is larger than your hip measurement?" (Or at least that was the question the dealer told me Santi asked.) As if they expect us average Americans to be built like skinny Poles/Europeans.

Since the Santi guy's background is the garment business, I would think fit would be their forte.

Been diving an E.lite for over 5 years now and have over 20 hours in it over the past couple months alone. Only leak was in the neoprene socks due to normal wear. No issues with the original plastic Tizip, in-fact I love it.

Mine was made to measure and fits great.

With one, she got a custom undergarment made along with it. She could barely get the undersuit on and then could barely get the suit on over it. She tried an off-the-rack undergarment and was then able to get the suit on. She had lost some weight between ordering the suit and receiving it, so her measurements were actually slightly smaller. She has now gotten to dive it some and no leaks that I have heard about.

With the other, he first ordered a made to measure Santi heated undergarment. The undergarment came and fit perfectly. But, then he could not get his DUI dry suit on over the new Santi undergarment. So, he ordered the Santi E.Lite to be made using the same measurements that were used for the undergarment. The E.Lite came and he can't get it on over the Santi undergarment. Of course, Santi initially responded with a statement that he must have given them bad measurements. Even though they made him a perfect undergarment using the same measurements. Then they asked him to measure again, with video. His dealer took the measurements and they actually came out slightly smaller than the measurements he originally gave. This is still ongoing but the latest word is that after Santi reps watched the video of him being re-measured, they determined they will add 5 cm to the chest, waist and hips of the drysuit. 5 CM!!

He wishes he could say whether his leaks or not.

That seems logical to me. Of course your shell suit needs to have a bit more space. But, Santi should account for that.

The story I am about to relate is not about Santi, but it may be something to consider.

A friend of mine went to a local shop to get a drysuit. They checked him out and said he would need to have a custom fit, which would cost him an extra $300. He had never had a drysuit before, so he deferred to their expertise. When it came in, he tried it on in the store and it fit perfectly. The shop employees raved about what a wise decision he had made paying that extra $300.

When he got it home and examined the suit more carefully, he wondered why there was no indication in the suit that it had been custom made for him. Instead, the was an indication that the suit was a size XL. He called the manufacturer, gave them the serial number, and they confirmed that the suit was an off-the-rack XL, and that was exactly what the shop had ordered.

AJ:
Maybe mine was a lemon, but I heard a few years ago Santi could not keep up with orders and there were complaints about quality. Could well be the quality now is what it should be. E.Motion is more vulnerable than the E.Lite anyhow, but even the E.Lite can leak.

Score for now (just shy of 400 dives):
- Third zipper;
- Patched about 8 leaks;
- Replaced deflator;
- Replaced FlexSoles (thin variant) for socks because of leaks.

Not what I would consider convincing quality.

I know how you feel. My Emotion has two years/120 dives. Both Flexsole boots leaked, neck seal perished, and a leak on the knee area. Has cost me about £300 to get neoprene socks and rock boots fitted, patch to leaky knee and new neck seal. The leaking boots are very common. If I get anymore problems, it’s going, and I’ll get an Otter, which I should have done in the first place.

The story I am about to relate is not about Santi, but it may be something to consider.

A friend of mine went to a local shop to get a drysuit. They checked him out and said he would need to have a custom fit, which would cost him an extra $300. He had never had a drysuit before, so he deferred to their expertise. When it came in, he tried it on in the store and it fit perfectly. The shop employees raved about what a wise decision he had made paying that extra $300.

When he got it home and examined the suit more carefully, he wondered why there was no indication in the suit that it had been custom made for him. Instead, the was an indication that the suit was a size XL. He called the manufacturer, gave them the serial number, and they confirmed that the suit was an off-the-rack XL, and that was exactly what the shop had ordered.

I think you’ve told this story before because I recall hearing it before. Very unethical shop. What did your friend do after finding out?

My e motion is nearly 4 years old, roughly 200 dives (was unused for nearly 2 years..)and all I've had to fix were 4 small pinholes over the last year. But it's been wonderful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom