Blackbeard - Liveaboard - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if they require a safety sausage for the drift dives? Thanks.
Do not know the answer.
I am not trying to push any buttons, I am genuinly wondering what motivates the question, because I always carry one in open water.
Wondering as in: If it was not required by the operator, would you go on ocean dives, drift dives in the ocean w/o a DSMB?

Last edited:
Not required and most dives won't need it but I carry one.

Do not know the answer.
I am not trying to push any buttons, I am genuinly wondering what motivates the question, because I always carry one in open water.
Wondering as in: If it was not required by the operatpr, would you go on ocean dives, drift dives in the ocean w/o a DSMB?

No buttons being pushed. Have only carried them on some drifts and spear fishing trips. Typically not open water. Just was making sure whether to throw it in the bag or not. Probably will. Feedback is always appreciated. Thanks

If you are 'misplaced' at sea, be mindful the tropical sun will bake your exposed head, the buoyant effect of the water encourages urination, you'll dehydrate with no access to fresh water and hours in the water can chill you. All while wondering whether you'll be found, when & in what shape. I didn't carry one when I started ocean diving, but eventually as I had cause to think about it more, I realized there was almost no downside, and a potentially huge upside if I ever needed it. Nowadays, if I'm diving & can't see shore, I want one.

I've yet to pack bottled water in a BCD pocket just in case, or some sort of head wrap, though. Guess everyone draws their own line on such things.

Richard.

Does anyone know if they require a safety sausage for the drift dives? Thanks.

I don't remember regarding Blackbeards but I have been on LOBs where they required a sausage and they provided them for divers that didn't have them. We each always carry one on every dive regardless if it is a drift dive, a moored boat dive, or a shore dive. Probably don't need one in an aquarium dive! :D

No SMB required. The only drift dive you'll do is the 'washing machine', and it's short, there are DMs on both ends, and a dingy and 60' sailboat on the other ends.

You can carry a small roll up one, but unless your navigation is realllllyyy bad, you won't need it. I wouldn't bother with a reel for it, you don't need to deploy it from depth, and I can't think of any reason you'd need to. You'll only know you're lost when you surface after not finding the boat.

If you have an actual DSMB, one of the useful 6' ones that you have to clip to the outside, leave it. If you have one of the tiny little ones that fit in a pocket, it doesn't hurt.

After looking through the other posts I have come up with my pack list. Let know if I'm off on something. Thanks

Travel Clothes (Will Also Take & Use On Boat)

T-shirt
Shorts
Underwear
Shoes (Leave At Dock)

Toiletries
Glasses & Case
Extra Contacts
Contact Solution & Case
Eye Drops
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Tooth Picks
Hotel Bar Soap
Body Wash
Deodorant
Tylenol
Dramamine
Benadryl
Tums

Ear Drops
Q Tips
Sunscreen
Lotion
Chapstick
Ear Plugs

Clothing On Boat
(3) Swim Trunks
(2) Dive Shirt
(2) T-shirt
Flip flops
(3) Underwear
(1) Pants
(1) Jacket
(1) Long Sleeve Shirt
Toboggan
Sun Hat
Bandana

Dive Gear
Mask
Defog
Snorkel
Octo
BC
Knife
Compass
Computer
Wetsuit
Boots
Fins
Dive Light & Charger
Tank Light
Dive Log
Cert Card

Misc
GoPro
SD Cards
Sun Glasses & Case
Zip Lock Bags
(2) Quick Dry Towels
Flashlight
Multi Tool
Batteries (For Flashlight)

Battery (For Dive Computer)
Dry Box & Bag
Phone Charger
Headphones
Magazines

ID, Insurance Card & Passport
Money & CC
Pen
Spring Clamps

Clothes For Last Day & Travel (Left At Dock)
Shorts
T-shirt
Underwear
Shoes

The bold I wouldn't bother bringing personally. They have a medicine kit if you happen to need some allergy pills or tylenol etc. You have lighting in your rack and the cabins so no flashlight should be needed on-board. Personally, I spent my time with the other people on-board and was asleep quickly after my head it the pillow, so I had no need to entertain myself with books or magazines. Tools, as mentioned, they have onboard as well. Temps in march should be low 70's to mid 80's during the day and probably mid 60's at night. If you need a knit cap for 65F weather, then bring one, but most people are pretty comfortable at those temps in my experience.

I used 2 swimsuits, 1 I was wearing and one hung up. Additionally, I found 2 towels best if you plan on showering. Keep one on the hook by your rack for shower use and the other topside for drying off after dives. They had tons of clips for hanging your stuff topside, but I still preferred to use my own so bring them if you'd like, but you could probably get by without them (most of the divers with me just used what was there already).

A 5mm suit, unless you get cold easily, would likely be overkill for most of the dives, but the night dives feel much colder so it's probably a good idea to have an option to get warmer than a 3mm will get you (I used a 3mm for all of my dives in December, one of the women onboard used a 7mm with hood for all of them, and another guy never bothered with a wetsuit at all.. so it is highly dependent on how you tolerate the cold).

You can tip with a CC (I did) and it is processed through the US. The sale of shirts/hats/etc wasn't an "anytime" thing when I went, they set up the "ship's store" for that on the trip back to port after our last dive of the trip.

No SMB is needed as mentioned already. You only have one drift dive and we had crew out with us in the water (ahead and behind the group) plus the dingy plus the boat.

I was just there in December so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The bold I wouldn't bother bringing personally. They have a medicine kit if you happen to need some allergy pills or tylenol etc. You have lighting in your rack and the cabins so no flashlight should be needed on-board. Personally, I spent my time with the other people on-board and was asleep quickly after my head it the pillow, so I had no need to entertain myself with books or magazines. Tools, as mentioned, they have onboard as well. Temps in march should be low 70's to mid 80's during the day and probably mid 60's at night. If you need a knit cap for 65F weather, then bring one, but most people are pretty comfortable at those temps in my experience.

I used 2 swimsuits, 1 I was wearing and one hung up. Additionally, I found 2 towels best if you plan on showering. Keep one on the hook by your rack for shower use and the other topside for drying off after dives. They had tons of clips for hanging your stuff topside, but I still preferred to use my own so bring them if you'd like, but you could probably get by without them (most of the divers with me just used what was there already).

A 5mm suit, unless you get cold easily, would likely be overkill for most of the dives, but the night dives feel much colder so it's probably a good idea to have an option to get warmer than a 3mm will get you (I used a 3mm for all of my dives in December, one of the women onboard used a 7mm with hood for all of them, and another guy never bothered with a wetsuit at all.. so it is highly dependent on how you tolerate the cold).

You can tip with a CC (I did) and it is processed through the US. The sale of shirts/hats/etc wasn't an "anytime" thing when I went, they set up the "ship's store" for that on the trip back to port after our last dive of the trip.

No SMB is needed as mentioned already. You only have one drift dive and we had crew out with us in the water (ahead and behind the group) plus the dingy plus the boat.

I was just there in December so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your input. I am going to drop the flashlight and multi-tool. I think I will keep the medicine, magazines & headphones as I will be staying extra days and also for traveling. Regarding the wet suit. I am torn. I have a 3 mil shorty and a 5-4-3 Mares Flexa 5/4/3 mm buy and offers on Scubastore. I might bring both. I don't typically get too cold but would rather be safe than sorry as they don't take up much room. But with that being said as I am keeping the toboggan. I like a warm head at night. Couple questions. What was your favorite dive spot? I am traveling as a single. Is the front of the boat better to stay at if possible? My wife is worried (shes's a big worrier) with not being able to be in contact for a week. After landing is there any WiFi I can hook up to at the marina to call or send a message before we leave and after we disembark from the boat? (unplugging is part of this trip for me, but you got to keep the wife happy :)) I have international calling for on land but if there is WiFi available I would like to hold off. Thanks for all your help.

Just realized you are from Acworth. Kennesaw here, Heritage Club! What neighborhood do you live?

The bow berthing is more private but I liked the room available in the galley berthing you just can't leave your crap on the table when you walk away it's rude to make a mess for others to clean up. If you have a preference for berthing email them ahead of time as it is assigned before boarding.

WiFi is available at Starbucks across the street from the boat and at most bars on the island.

Back
Top Bottom