Any Vintage Dive Magazine Lovers Out There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, guys. New member is here.
My name is Yuriy. I'm not connected to diving, but always was interested in this as a hobby.
My question regarding the topic. I do research in vintage diver's watches. Especially Zodiac brand and their Sea Wolf.
Looking any information about its history. Identified that, probably, old ads and booklets could be a good resource of information.
I'd really appreciate if somebody could point me out to specific issues of old magazines, discussed here, where were published Zodiac vintage sport watches advertisement.
So I can narrow down my search on online auctions to acquire that specific issues.
Sea Wolf was issued in 1953. Ant the company went into bankruptcy in 1990s. So if somebody spotted any publication in vintage diver's magazines regarding this subject in that time frame, please let me know here or through PM.
Thank you in advance!
Regards
Yuriy

Welcome Yurly to the forum, have dug out some adds as requested the adds were in dive mags here in the UK from circa 1950's to1970's
SEA WOLF ADD JAN 1959.PNG ZODIAC SEA WOLF ADD.JPG ZODIAC WATCH ADD 1967.jpg ZODIAC SEA WOLF.jpg ZODIAC SEA WOLF  1970.jpg 573db055275e8cd139657544a522e9bf.jpg

Hi, Yuriy. To add to Regulator bj's excellent pictures:
Zodiac_ASM_Jan1964.jpg

The above image is from page 100 of the January-February 1964 issue of France's diving magazine L'aventure sous-marine.

The image below is from page 6 of the Summer 1960 issue of RN (Royal Navy) Diving Magazine. There are many scanned issues of the RN Magazine online at RN Diving Magazines, where you will find the same Zodiac ad. Just follow the link and you will see issues from 1951 to 1970 scanned as PDF files.
Zodiac_RNDM_Summer1960.jpg

Finally, here's an American Zodiac Watch Company ad from 1959 posted on the wonderful Skin Diving History website at Skin Diving History - Zodiac Watch Company - Mfg & Retailers.
01.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks guys. It helps a lot!
Some ads I did not see before.
David, providing year and issue number is priceless for me. Now I can try to find the physical copy of that magazines. Yay!
Mr.regulator bj, I'm very pleased to see some very rare ad with first generation of Sea Wolf (first picture). I want them all to my collection! Do you have magazine name and year/issue number?
Thank you guys!
Can't wait for more input from your archives.
I found couple of year sets of Skin Diver in binders. 1960 and 1968. Any ads are there?
Skin Diver Magazine 1960 January thru December Bound 12 Issues | eBay
Complete Year- Jan. through Dec. Vintage Skin Diver 1968 Magazines in Binder | eBay

Last edited:
I recently purchased some 1960 issues of Skin Diver Magazine, specifically March, July, August, September, November, December, that's half the issues of that year. No sign of ads for Zodiac watches, the only watch ads in sight are for Croton Depthomatic models.

I also have some Skin Diver Magazine issues from 1961. There is a Zodiac Watch Co. Sea Wolf ad (below) on page 8 of the May 1961 issue:
Zodiac_SDM_May1961.jpg

The ad does not appear in any of the other Skin Diver Magazine issues I own, namely November 1956, February 1961, March, April, May 1961, August, September 1961, November, December 1961.

Good catch, David.
Interesting. I asked the seller of SD-1960 year set about this. And he answered he can see at least 6 entries of Zodiac ad in that year. :) Going to consider to buy at least that issues from 1960 you did not mention in your research.
Thanks for help!

In the early 1970’s I bought a Zodiac Super Sea Wolf dive watch. It was the only reasonable dive watch I could afford as a high school student. I still have it and it works great. AFAIK, the Super Sea Wolf was introduced after the Sea Wolf, but I don’t know when or how long it was in production.

Has anyone ran into adds for the Super Sea Wolf? Any other information about it?

Thanks

I think I have to ask moderators to extract all watch related posts into separate topic. It was not a smart move from me to post my questions here. Don't want to hijack the topic.
Luis, feel free to open a new topic regarding Zodiac diver watches. I have some info to share (please let me know where the topic is, afraid I could miss a newly created ones :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom