Best time to visit and dive Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<<Visibility wasn't fabulous, though>> I don't think viz is ever much better. Some but never clear. Lots of particulate in the water which is why lots of critters I think.

That was my experience as well when we visited in Oct 2016 (Savusavu area). Only time we had great viz was out at Namena. Otherwise, we had great dive conditions - temps ~80F and mild weather.

We do our Fiji trips in late May, in shoulder season. Cheaper ✈️. Still decent weather and water temps over 80f. June through October it can be in the low 70's. ⛸️⛸️
December though April is the rainy season.

:clearmask:

So, my question is precisely the same. From what I read in this thread, people are saying February and autumn can have cold water and possible typhoons in Feb.

My questions is what is the good time? When is the water clearest and warmest? When are we less likely to be typhooned?? Is June good? What is the best time?

So, my question is precisely the same. From what I read in this thread, people are saying February and autumn can have cold water and possible typhoons in Feb.

My questions is what is the good time? When is the water clearest and warmest? When are we less likely to be typhooned?? Is June good? What is the best time?

I went in late July to the Rainbow Reef (Taveuni) and also did some dives off Nadi. Taveuni is clearly the winner in terms of quality as visibility was easily 70'. The water was a bit chillier than I expected (checks log) at 77 F. I got chilled with a 3mm and wish I had a 5mm and hood. The surface temps were cool in the mornings. Recommend bringing a sweatshirt for topside activities. We went in the winter precisely to avoid typhoons. Worked out well. Beautiful place and wonderful people!

We visited Raki Raki for 10 days in middle March. Water was warm as it was moving from summer to fall 80-81 degrees. We had a couple rainy nights and two windy days. All of the rest of the days were spectacular. We are thinking we will try May for our next trip. Water should still be warm, but cyclone season will be gone.

In planning stages for a 2018 trip. Interested in the best time weather wise to visit and dive Fiji. Any recommendations appreciated. I am retired so my schedule is very flexible.
So... Mostlyirish...did you ever get an answer to your question?
I see lots of replies about times when it's cold and not great weather.
But no one seems to want to tell when is the BEST time to go....
I'm gonna click on the link that Trailboss123 posted and hope to find the answer to you question, because I want to know too!

So... Mostlyirish...did you ever get an answer to your question?
I see lots of replies about times when it's cold and not great weather.
But no one seems to want to tell when is the BEST time to go....
I'm gonna click on the link that Trailboss123 posted and hope to find the answer to you question, because I want to know too!
Actually we decided to go to Misool in Raja Ampat this Feb-March and had a fantastic time. So my planning for Fiji is shifting to 2019. You are correct that a clear answer is still elusive. It appears May might be a good option.

I was just diving out of Raki Raki the last week of this March (2018). My water temp readings were consistently 84 degrees F and the daytime air temps were in the 80's. We did have quite a bit of rain. The rain did not affect the diving but it did cut down on our kayaking and hiking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom