Why dont people use OMS regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have their bungeed wing, people look at me funny when i show up but it's really sturdy if nothing else, I guess they build their regs with the same philosophy.
I have been diving with one for many yrs and yet to across any problem or recall. Unlike some of my buddies who had received various recall for the spring of the dump valve, power inflator and to have the outer-shell replaced etc etc all from "H" brand.

I bought an OMS oxygen regulator years ago. The 2nd stage cracked and the first stage always had IP issues. My girlfriend at the time was a cave instructor. We had her OMS HID light serviced 3 times in as many months. Heck, I've even had the OMS cave arrow keychain break.

OMS harnesses & wings used to drive me crazy as a tech instructor. It was tough to get them properly adjusted. When students would contact me about class, I'd say, "Please tell me you aren't using OMS."

I still have a complete OMS reg that works. The chrome inside the first stages wears out where the piston O-ring bears on them eventually.

I don't care for their old harnesses, either, and made my own after a while. I have not tried the new ones. I have no more or fewer problems with their wings than with Dive Rite or Zeagle wings (shrug). YMMV.

OMS did a partial recall on their regulators last year. OMS, which is owned by Beyond the Shore and DUI, released the AirStream Evoque. DUI shipped some units and these they recalled according to their website and the CPSC recall alert 'due to drowning hazard'. To my knowledge Beyond the Shore did not recall any of the units they sold and continued selling them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom