Drysuits - telescopic torso (TLS) - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canary islands are basically florida cave temps. high 60's to low 70's. I'd teach OW in drysuits if I was in your neck of the woods...
I get cold in mid to high 70’s in a 5 mil eventually. So I’d opt for a dry suit in those conditions, but not much underneath. I use my heated vest after about 30 minutes into a dive. Give me heat and I’m happy

TLS refers to 'Tri Laminate Series'... which could be purchased as a self-don or shoulder entry drysuit. The 'telescoping torso' is a style of a self-don drysuit. Since the fabric does not stretch, and it is a one piece garment, extra material is needed for movement.

TLS refers to 'Tri Laminate Series'... which could be purchased as a self-don or shoulder entry drysuit. The 'telescoping torso' is a style of a self-don drysuit. Since the fabric does not stretch, and it is a one piece garment, extra material is needed for movement.

TLS from the manufacturer he is referencing is a telescoping torso option. It threw me until he specified which manufacturer and I pulled up the drysuit in question

Seaskin has a different version of the telescoping torso, it’s a little extra length in the back and folds down with the same sort of crotch strap that DUI uses, the DUI has a cleaner look but for the extra $2500 I don’t care.

Seaskin finally offers the DUI-style telescoping torso. In the past it wasn't an option, the torso was just longer and you had to fold it over yourself. It's annoying to get it to fold the same way every time. It's really the only thing I don't like about my Seaskin, and if it had been an option when I ordered it, I would have got it.

A front entry drysuit will need to have a "telescopic torso" to be able to put it on and use the zipper to close/open the suit where a back entry suit doesn't need it.

This is simply not true. I just purchased my third front-entry drysuit without a telescoping torso. The first was a bag suit, the second and third are neoprene.

Might be better to describe the suits as having a "shrinking torso." I believe the intent is really to take up all the slack material that is required for someone to get into the suit without using a stretchy material. Otherwise how would you do it if the thing didn't stretch and was only just big enough to fit you?

I think manufacturers went with telescoping instead of shrinking because it sounds positive rather than negative in marketing materials.

This is simply not true. I just purchased my third front-entry drysuit without a telescoping torso. The first was a bag suit, the second and third are neoprene.

Perhaps we differ on the definition of the "telescoping torso." How are you going to wear the suit if it was cut just right without excess material for you to pull the suit's torso up and to be able to slide your hands and head into the suit?

What suit are you using now?

had the scubapro evertec trilam suit and it has the band of extra material that telescops to allow self entry easy. just bought a new seaskin nova and it has an extra bit of material in the waist/back area that does the same job but it folds a little differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom