Trip Report Dive report Little Corn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No AC is an issue for me though! Any humidity at night and my sinuses close up...sleeping is difficult then....if they have adequate fans and a breeze throughout the evenings, then I may survive:)
i cant speak enough about how they have they bungalows engineered...plus the main floor has a ceiling fan and then two large hanging fans pointed strategically at the bed...that coupled with the breeze through the cabin make it quite doable...and im a huge A/C fan myself

Thanks for posting this - been considering Little Corn for a while for part of my next Central American trip. Great to have a good dive report to read

I've been lax about writing dive reports which is a failure on my part so I'm going to try and be a little better....Little Corn island Dive report Aug 6-15th 2017.... Spent 9 days staying at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow (great stuff, see trip advisor later for a more in-depth review on the accommodations) and doing 2 tanks a day with Dolphin Dive. The resort is great. Top notch food and drink (filet/legal lobster, etc... at reasonable prices) service is wonderful and the rooms are perfect. Steps from the ocean but a nice shaded area in front of the bungalows with plenty of palms, sand and hammocks. No AC but the rooms are engineered to make use of the ample ocean breeze and are equipped with some well thought out fan placement. AC was never really an issue. It's about a 10 minute walk to the two dive shops on the island from the resort though there are other close by places to stay including at Los Delfines which is the dive shop hotel and located on site. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We pack in our own kit but the rental equipment the other divers and students were using seemed newer and well maintained. Tank fills were generous... And you were far more likely to see 3500psi then you were a short fill. The dive boats are small and quick and most dives are within 10 minutes of the shop. They offer 3 dives a day. Deeper dives are at 9an, then slightly shallower at 1130 and 230p. Also regular night dives and if the weather is permitting, trips to Blowing Rock. Which is about a 30-40 minute boat ride, 2 tank dive around a really pretty dive site. Each of the other dives are only one tank. Because all the sites are so close, they return after each one tank dive. Makes it easy to grab a lunch etc... Before heading back out. We dove with DM Chloe, Gary and instructor/DM Molly. They were all enthusiastic about what they do and did it well and with a smile. I basically just dive around my own profile and keep track of the groups bubbles but my fiancee is a newer diver and really enjoys a good DM... And they all fit that bill. I took my 14 year old son on this trip and he obtained his OW and was able to dive with us on the last couple of days. George, his instructor was super helpful, pleasant and according to my son a very clear and easy to understand, enjoyable instructor. Life that was seen was the normal Caribbean/Central American fare... There did seem to be an abundance of southern stingrays.. some quite large, plenty of curious nurse sharks on every dive, some hawk billed turtle and a lot of toad fish hiding here and there. My son got to see a Goliath Grouper on the last day and was of course his first look at anything that large, weighing in at hundreds of pounds... (Estimating 400lbs) just lounging under a cleft and letting me take snaps. Diving was done in everything from Sunny calm, overcast, chop and rain. Vis stayed a pretty consistent 70-100 ft. The dive sites are relatively shallow... Usually around 50ft... Some around 70 and a few in the 35 range. There is occasionally some current to push you around but nothing major on our dives. Water entry is by James bonding off the bost or having the boat Captain hand your gear over the side to put on in the water. Dolphin Dive itself seems a well run and safety conscious shop that stays on top of the new and inexperienced divers ability as well as allowing those with experience to manage their own profile. They were a blast and I would dive with again or recommend them easily.

Going to Little Corn Island Jan 22 -27, 2017 How did you like Dolphin Dive shop? They seem reasonable,. Any feed back, Please.Did you have to carry a lot of cash ? They said few accept Credit cards? The plane ride is 160.00 they say only 30 lbs of gear or you pay $$. any other places you liked?

I dove with Dolphin Dive a few years ago and was very happy with them. Do bring cash with you for meals, drinks, etc. I think we got ours at the airport ATM in Managua. Crime isn't much of a problem on Little Corn, but if anyone you don't know asks where you're staying just tell them you're staying with a friend.

There are several restaurants a short walk from Dolphin Dive. The Cuban place was my favorite. The Sunset Shack under the almond tree makes a great breakfast and Tranquillo is a great place to unwind after diving over some cold Tonas.

Have a great trip! Let us know your thoughts after you get back.

I’m a Bonaire fan mostly because of the shore diving and not diving in a group. My wife and I are both quite good on air consumption and get quite annoyed when we have to surface with half a tank of air, how were they about bottom time? Is there enough flexibility with the divemasters to allow more experienced divers to stay in the water when the air hogs run low?

Dear Scuba Board:
Was On my way to Little Corn Island, had to cancel. Passed out because Guard at a distribution plant would not let me in to go to the bathroom for over 15 minutes.
Vasovagel Syncope - 9 stitches and a fractured fibula.
Thanks for your reports. I told Adam, Dolphin Dive, I don't know when, but I will come someday and now with your reports, I am sure to go someday.

deleted...wrong thread.

Back
Top Bottom