President's Doctor is a Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it was WWII or earlier vintage but is shown in the 1950 Bluejacket's manual as a Master Diver badge, an S was Salvage Diver, and of course the 1 and 2. At the end of WWII the Navy was working to change divers to a rate after the war, they tabled the rate idea and made the structure as you knew it. Recently, 2006, they did make Diver into a rate.

It is hard to find the old specialty patches pictured, in the real old BJM it skipped them as a minor thing to be learned in context, and once they were changed no one cared. This is also true of some of the old ratings as well.

Bob

Small world class 16-66 how about you Akimbo?

I can't remember my class number but it started in early November of 1970 and finished in late March of 71. It probably says on the class picture, if I ever find it. I did scan the wall-hanger certificate:

full.jpg

It was interesting how that one building was creating the future of diving on one side and fighting to stay in the past on the other. I swear, some of those guys would try to lockout of PTC (bell) in a Mark V Helium Hat if they could.

Done soo much after school some cant talk about. Panama City 67 69. Skylark in 67, I was on gas rack for Miller Sprinkle accident off of Argencia.

Miller Sprinkle accident? Was that the Johnson Sea Link accident? How much of a Naval presence was in Panama City in those days? All I ever knew about was after NEDU and the school moved there from DC.

Miller Sprinkle was USS Skylark 1967 I got bent treating the Corpsman that got bent treating Miller and Sprinkle. The Sea Link was USS Tringa in Key west I was there also. Clayton Link Jr. was killed along with Al Stover. Clayton Link Jr. Was my swim partner during scuba class in Dive school 1966. My certificate from school reads 320 ft for helium It was changed after Miller and Sprinkle's accident. The Skylark's CO was relieved for that accident.
dive school certificut (Mobile).jpg

Last edited:
Here's my class photo Many famous Divers, many are gone. That's ensign Link with myself next to him on the top. He thanked me many times for dragging his ass through the pool in scuba. I didn't know who he was in Dive school. Just thought he was a young kid Ensign.
Dive Class 1666.jpg

Miller Sprinkle was USS Skylark 1967 I got bent treating the Corpsman that got bent treating Miller and Sprinkle. The Sea Link was USS Tringa in Key west I was there also. ...

You really need to write something for the History Forum on both accidents. Google didn't find much on the Miller Sprinkle accident besides just the mention of their names.

No thanks, not much to say it just shouldn't have happened for a simple device that dug and buried telephone cables 385 Ft Deep. Funny thing with communication in 1967. There were 3 first class MM1 DV on the skylark. Initial newspaper article was 2 MM1 Divers were killed Miller and Sprinkle were both MM1. I was the third MM1.

Reactions: mdb
i saw that on the news this morning.

Back
Top Bottom