Apeks DB4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True. Never felt the need for two, I guess if I had one seize together that might change. Why do you like two out of curiosity?

One to hold the main diaphragm cap in place while torquing the environmental cap with the 2nd.

Waiting on confirmation but am hoping it's still going to be one kit for first stages. I'm gonna guess the Flight will go the way of the dinosaurs, good riddance.
I don't understand why so many people complain about the Apeks Flight regs. They are great for traveling, really light and they breath very well. Yes they can be a bit fiddly to service, but with the correct tools I've never had an issue.

S.

I'd like to get a copy, do you know if that's possible? Cheers.

I was referring to the professional / military section of their website.

But check your pm for a link.

I don't understand why so many people complain about the Apeks Flight regs. They are great for traveling, really light and they breath very well. Yes they can be a bit fiddly to service, but with the correct tools I've never had an issue.

S.

I'm sure they breathe just fine.

The issue I have with them are they are touted as a travel reg but the only criteria they meet in that regard IMO is weight and even that is arguable.

They use proprietary hoses, as you say are "fiddly" to service and require some specialized tools. If traveling to some far flung location or even not so far flung all those points are likely to be a problem.

For travel my criteria is simple to service, with minimal tools, preferably by me or at least with a reg that a shop is likely to be able to service. The Flight uses unique service kits, is not that common, requires specialized tools and proprietary hoses, I'd wager if you had an issue whilst on vacation you'd be out of luck. Sure you could mitigate most of that yourself but as a "travel reg" bought by the average diver I think it's a fail.

If one wants to save "weight" and wants a small, compact "travel" reg I think the AL Mikron is a better option.

No offense intended.

Take care.

Last edited:
For anyone's that's interested, I got confirmation that the two extra O rings used on the DB4 are now included in the "universal" first stage kit. At least it's still one kit save flight.

Are those two extra O rings any use on other Apeks 1st and 2nd stages?
I have plenty AP1420(DST only) accumulated over the years.

Are those two extra O rings any use on other Apeks 1st and 2nd stages?
I have plenty AP1420(DST only) accumulated over the years.

Not the usual suspects but they look to be the same as used on the MTX. They are two different sizes as well. I just checked and part numbers don't match yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom