Scubapro G2 or Perdix AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 Perdix computers- one is AI, 2nd non AI for backup. If you are thinking about going tech. there is only one choice- Shearwater-very user friendly and
can use any AA battery, this is huge plus since I previously have 2 Liquivision computers & battery prices can get expensive. Also you can update you Decompression Model to VPM (optional), comes standard with Buhlmann. And lastly once you try compass you will be sold,

Is the Perdix awesome too for simple recreational diving since majority of factors mentioned are for technical diving? Brightness underwater , alarms etc etc?

Is the Perdix awesome too for simple recreational diving since majority of factors mentioned are for technical diving? Brightness underwater , alarms etc etc?

I only rec dive, I find it to be perfect. Alarms? The only alarm I like is to wake up in the morning, which I actually hate too. The perdix has visual "alarms" but not audible, thank god. I swear if I hear one more beep on a liveaboard trip I'm going to lose my mind.

no audible alarms, again like @buddhasummer said, thank God. Audible alarms are the worst. Vibe alarms are nice though.

The Perdix in rec-nitrox mode is perfectly fine for beginner divers and realistically isn't all that much more expensive than some other options on the market that don't offer as much in terms of features

Agree. My husband and I both bought Perdix as our first dive computer. The more I dive it the more I like it. Have used it on air and Nitrox mode. Can grow with us if that ever happens.

I went with the G2 because I'm not a tech diver and have had good experience for a few years with a Galileo Sol.
For a recreational diver the G2 has a better implementation of the air time. According to Shearwater the main advantage of air integration is displaying the tank pressure in one display, and their air time does not include mandatory deco stops, as air time is not useful for tech divers with their multiple tanks.
Personally I really like the rechargeable battery in the G2 as it holds lots of charge and there is no opening of a battery compartment with risk of O ring failure. Being an older diver I also like the heart rate monitoring function of the G2.
It's true the Scubapro desktop software totally sucks, so I'm using Diving Log 6 with my G2 and only use LogTrak to play with the computer settings. I use an Aladin Tec 3G as a backup to the G2 as the Aladin has the same algorithm as the Galileo and same nomenclature as the Galileo and G2.

However I agree with the others that if you're interested in tech the Shearwater is the better choice.

I'm a basic, warm water, tropical vacation recreational diver (with a dive buddy wife who is also). I struggled over this decision for quite a while. Ultimately bought two Perdix AI units (one of which is right in front of me, I literally just opened the box for the first time) - one for the wife for Christmas, and one for me this week for an upcoming trip to Cozumel (honestly, my wife insisted I get one too, she wants our computers "to match" - so I had to).

Why I was tempted by the G2:
Slightly "Prettier" screen display (the Perdix appears a bit more "no nonsense" where the G2 seemed to have a slightly more "graphical" look to it).
Seems to be newer than the Perdix (based on intro date). That's not always a good thing, but in general newer toys have better features.
The biometrics integration. This is "wow" stuff - at least initially. No competitor has it. Then I realized that I (and even more so, my spouse) would probably quickly tire of the whole chest band thing...while I can agree the biometric info could be useful, I wasn't convinced how important it is in its current implementation (at least for the kind of diving we do). Given that, I could easily imagine just skipping the whole chest band experience after the first few dives - dive gear is plenty complex already for a recreational diver, and one of the reasons for going AI is to streamline things a bit (yeah, we will still have our consoles along as backups). The prospect of introducing yet more stuff to wear, adjust, futz with, and manage just seemed unattractive with questionable benefit. I also had to wonder how much the chest strap/biometrics was more of a gimmick than a technological edge.

Why I chose the Perdix:
Many of the reasons mentioned above.
Ticks all my boxes (and my needs are fairly modest - probably will never get into serious tech diving).
I prefer the battery setup.
Less expensive than the G2.
The company. This is what ultimately tipped the balance for me. They appear to be universally held in the highest regard for customer service, integrity, responsiveness. Also, I live in Seattle...in a pinch, the Shearwater HQ is within driving distance of my home, and their US distributor is less than an hour away. I figure if I have some dive computer crisis the day before I fly off to Pago Pago, I'll have a decent shot at getting it resolved locally.

We haven't used the Perdixes (is that the correct plural form? Perdices?) yet. We're headed for Cozumel next month and will see how we live diving with them then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom