Exploding Tank in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
No idea. I can barely read any data on that tank in the picture. Like I said before, I'll report back when I next chat to him.

Thank you to @UtopiaOnUtila for the improved photos. My friend on Utila hasn’t wanted to say any more about the incident - I’m pretty sure he knows both the victims and it’s really affected him on an emotional level.
I definitely agree with @Diving Dubai about the internal corrosion - the new photos are a lot clearer with showing that the pitting has ‘depth’. On a professional level I would be really interested to see a photo of the point of initiation.
On thing that always worries me is that people put so much importance on the hydro test. The hydro is more a final ok check. Really it’s the visual and other non destructive testing that in my opinion are the most important. Unfortunately aluminium alloys are complex (as is steel for that matter too) interpretation of a failure needs a thorough examination to take place. However I think it’s very safe to say that this isn’t related to the sustained load thread cracking issues that have been a common mechanism in some other aluminium tank failures.

Last edited:
Rubber Knobs look almost new in @TrimixToo 's pict ??

I have no information about that tank except that (a) it failed (obviously) and that (b) it was due to being in a fire. I would expect that a strong desire to move it conveniently afterward led someone to replace the valve or put a new knob on it, but I can no longer ask the shop owner, as that shop (in Dunedin FL) closed a year or two ago. (Too bad. The owner was quite nice, and quite professional.)

Take a look at the corrosion at the valve tank neck area. That valve has not been off that cylinder for years.

FYI. The cylinder had been condemned and was taken from a scrap pile. Then put back into service by the individual.

FYI. The cylinder had been condemned and was taken from a scrap pile. Then put back into service by the individual.
How do you know this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom