So this is the place where you all went...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1c3d1v3r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
RBW and CCRX are getting quite quiet. Nice to see activity here.

After a few quiet years I'm getting back to RB diving. Atm. I'm building my own dive computer/RB controller. Looking into getting it wet the next summer. I took the O2 version from the Apoc order and money back from the electronics. It's faster to build your own than wait for theirs :)
Some of the specifications:
  • CAN bus for sharing data
  • 1-2 O2 cells (option for 3rd cell in this prototype)
  • Magnetometer, accelerometer, gyroscope (3D compass) & pressure sensors
  • OLED colour display
  • Bluetooth 4.2 module
  • RGB-led
  • Ambient light sensor for display brightness controll
  • Two buttons for UI controll
  • 0.8 - 5V power input (use any AA sized battery)
AZ3sDqm.jpg

Awesome. It is a bummer that RBW and CCRX are so dead. RBW used to be a great place for information, but that was probably 10 years ago.

Have you looked at AV1 electronics? I have their HUD for my SF2 and it it's sweet. I know he makes full plug and play options for inspos.

I guess it depends if you are making electronics because you want to, or because you have to.

-Chris

I'm making electronics because I want to. This project is also my last course work before getting my Master's degree electrical engineering.

One idea behind the design is using only 1-2 O2 cells per controller/monitor unit. Data between units is shared via CAN bus. If the CAN bus fails you can check individual cells from different units.
Example: Handset computer unit have 1 cell. Led HUD unit have 1 cell. Secondary handset got 1 cell. Total 3 cells but all units can see 3 cells as long as CAN is working.

Share the data, not the cells™

Awesome. It is a bummer that RBW and CCRX are so dead. RBW used to be a great place for information, but that was probably 10 years ago.

Quieter but not dead. Actually there are just as many, if not more, posts per day on RBW than here. CCRX is quieter than that and about the same as here in my estimation.

Quieter but not dead. Actually there are just as many, if not more, posts per day on RBW than here. CCRX is quieter than that and about the same as here in my estimation.

That is true but many are announcements and sales threads. Here I found good talk and interesting members who have disappeared for the other two sites.

Perhaps posting forums is no longer the preferred option? I'm from the UK and TDF The Dive Forum used to be vibrant but also rather dead now.

Hope it's not a sign that there are lesser divers out there.

This may be an unpopular reply but I believe the time for CCR forums has passed. When I first started the main source of online info was nwdesigns and the mailing list associated with it. Completely unmoderated, highly judgemental but lots of lively arguments took place. Books and literature on rebreathers were sparse and many users were home builders. It was on that forum that discussion of new deco strategies such as deep stops were first being debated. Rebreather diving was part of the wild west as far as freedom or opinion was concerned. Nowadays rebreather units are mainstream, factory built, and standards (ISO, CE, OSHA...) exist for their performance and construction.
Legal considerations, have driven many longtime internet forum users underground as the watered down (legal, safe) discussions found here are of little value to us. I use the other forums as well but don't contribute anywhere near as much as I used to on any of them.

@wedivebc add helium randomly banning people like becky kagan schott and then basically using it to sell their used rebreathers didn't really help that forum...

that said your arguments are certainly valid and I suspect part of why CCRx never really took off

@wedivebc add helium randomly banning people like becky kagan schott and then basically using it to sell their used rebreathers didn't really help that forum...

that said your arguments are certainly valid and I suspect part of why CCRx never really took off
As I have been a moderator on RBW since before the sotis regime, I am aware of that too but it is an important factor.

As I have been a moderator on RBW since before the sotis regime, I am aware of that too but it is an important factor.

it's actually part of what makes the vintage double hose forum really neat because it's a bunch of crazy ol' coots that still do a lot of DIY and out of the box thinking. As instructors we are crammed into a box, and as technical instructors and even smaller one. Part of my "workbench" thread is to start talking about what I'm doing that goes way against the industry norms and I'm hoping to do a bunch of stuff on there with my rebreather as well. By end of next week will be QC4 to Reg hose conversion on my meg head, modifying Pony Tamer brackets to get my lp50's and FX23's onboard my rack from Deep Sea Supply, etc etc. Not huge stuff, but hopefully will start some conversations vs. a lot of what this forum is which is new people asking similar questions.

Back
Top Bottom