How do I get myself to stop chewing my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, this is a silly problem, but I find I'm subconsciously chewing through the mouthpieces of my regulator... far too often for my tastes. I seem to have chewed through two on one dive trip.

I know it's a silly problem, but I would like to stop doing this, and I'm wondering if anyone else overcame the same problem.

I don' t have that problem, so I don't have a great answer, but rather a few questions/comments -courtesy of talks with other divers who also chew through their mouthpieces:
Do you grind your teeth while asleep? (there might be a correlation)
Does your mouthpiece feel comfortable- almost to the point of you not being aware of it. (if not, try a "custom fit" one-. Trim the edges as needed to get a better fit, try one of the (I don't recall the brand) mouthpieces that let you make a bite area fitted to your teeth[ you put the mouthpiece into hot water, bite it then when it cools it has a "dental impression" fit.

Can you recall when you are chewing the mouthpiece-heavy current, high exertion situations, nervous-inducing situations? Or "boring" parts of the dive (if there are any).

2 things that might help???: (they are from people that said they had that problem.)
Can you consciously remind yourself to NOT CHEW the mouthpiece? (one guy said that this worked for him.)

Another guy said that he lined the bite area of his mouthpiece with a small strip of chewing gum in a flavor that he didn't like , which gave him immediate feedback that he was chewing on the mouthpiece.

I have my doubts, but both people claimed that their method worked for them.
Good luck with your situation.

I chewed mine too. Recently, I replaced it with the kind that has a bridge over, touching the ceiling of my mouth, joining the left & right mouthpieces as shown, below. I noticed if I bite it too hard the bridge would collapse, peeling off the ceiling of my mouth & blocking the air passage. That is the signal to my brain that I bite it too hard. My reg is a Scubapro S600 that I use it for 13 years, logging 700 dives.

That picture I took, was the mouthpiece after 60 dives. How does it look?

3C3FF7C5-5B71-4966-AD77-BBAC16E874FA.jpeg

I too chew my mouthpieces. I have chewed through comfo-bites, I've chewed through just about every mouthpiece on the market. I also grind my teeth all night. I find that I don't chew through Atomic mouthpieces, or Seacure moldable mouthpieces. I suck that sea cure like it's a binky, no problems. I've had the one on my main second stage over 10 years.

I've consistently chewed the left bite peg off my regulator mouthpieces for 35 years. Maybe I need to switch to Copenhagen?

The good news is that if you chew your mouthpieces you replace them with new ones before they become a habitat for critters science hasn't classified yet.

Wookie, I actually did chew through an atomic one.... followed by a no name brand my instructor had in his save a dive kit. I might give the seacure a try.

Loving the responses, but don't let me discourage more from coming.

I too chew my mouthpieces. I have chewed through comfo-bites, I've chewed through just about every mouthpiece on the market. I also grind my teeth all night. I find that I don't chew through Atomic mouthpieces, or Seacure moldable mouthpieces. I suck that sea cure like it's a binky, no problems. I've had the one on my main second stage over 10 years.
Hi @GreyVR

I was going to suggest SeaCure or one of the other moldable mouthpieces, but @Wookie beat me to it. They are extremely comfortable and durable. I've had the one on my primary regulator for longer than I can remember.

I chewed through 3 rental regs last September in Playa del Carmen in consecutive cenote dives. I had no idea why cause it never happened before and I was so embarrassed. I now think the reason was because that particular rental was a bigger and heavier rental reg than I’m used to with a flimsier mouthpiece. I had a hard time keeping it in my mouth so I clamped down on it harder to keep it in. I clamped down, the mouthpiece broke. As soon as the instructor switched the mouthpiece to the Aqualung Comfobite kind (Apeks has a similar one), that issue stopped.

I agree with the others that the Aqualung Comfobite or the Apeks one might help significantly. Also, the Seacure for some people. My personal reg set has all Comfobites, as well as my husband’s, and our spares kit.

If you’re renting, you can buy your own mouthpiece and get the dive op to change it for you and return it to you after your dives.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom