Looking for information on a Northill Air Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katherine Winters

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I hope this is an all right place to ask.

I came across this and am trying to find more information on it. I believe it's from the 50's? That's all I was able to find out. I Googled the numbers on it and tried tons of different search terms, but I came up empty.

I know zero about scuba and would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction

Thank you!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It appears that it was "born" in April of 1955, judging from the hydro stamp beneath the ICC number. It is rated for 2000 psi and appears to have a 1/2 valve with tapered threads. The most recent hydro test I see is 1988. Since it is galvanized it may need a "pre-test" in order to pass a hydro test. As long as there is no bad pitting or heavy rust inside it will probably pass a hydro test which will likely make it worth more if you intend to sell it. It looks like there are some rust spots on the outside but as long as they are not deep pits they might be OK.

It has a very high "cool" factor so I suspect you may get a lot of interest. :)

Did you open the valve to see if it has any air in it?

It appears that it was "born" in April of 1955, judging from the hydro stamp beneath the ICC number. It is rated for 2000 psi and appears to have a 1/2 valve with tapered threads. The most recent hydro test I see is 1988. Since it is galvanized it may need a "pre-test" in order to pass a hydro test. As long as there is no bad pitting or heavy rust inside it will probably pass a hydro test which will likely make it worth more if you intend to sell it. It looks like there are some rust spots on the outside but as long as they are not deep pits they might be OK.

It has a very high "cool" factor so I suspect you may get a lot of interest. :)
Thank you so much for your help! I'll have to see if there's a place nearby that can do a hydro test.

I was considering selling it but wasn't sure if it was worth the effort. I couldn't find anything similar so I have no clue if it's, like $50 or something.

My mom wanted to make it into a lamp...

northill also made their own double hose regulators they could be bought as asset in the 60s,

I haven't. I'll look up how to do that for when I get home.

Are you a diver? If so, you just turn it a little counter-clockwise (looking down at the top) just like you would on any tank before connecting a regulator. If you have a regulator with a SPG it would be interesting to see how much air is in it, but "crack" the valve first before connecting to blow out any dust or moisture etc.

Are you a diver? If so, you just turn it a little counter-clockwise (looking down at the top) just like you would on any tank before connecting a regulator. If you have a regulator with a SPG it would be interesting to see how much air is in it, but "crack" the valve first before connecting to blow out any dust or moisture etc.
I'm not. I know as little about it as possible.

Thanks for the tip!

The only thing Northill is the tank and most likely the valve. The "harness" on it is a US Divers (Aqua Lung today) from 1962. That particular backpack was made in one year only as it has some major issues. It was reconfigured in 1963 and continued for a few years. (if you want to sell the backpack, it is commonly referred to as a "DOG BONE" from USD. It might have a $25-$45 value on eBay). The value of the tank is in the $50 or less range. It has to be retested ($25-$35). And the valve is a type that is not favored today and as such the tank loses valve. There are literally hundreds of the type of tank you have, albeit, NORTHILL is rather rare and to a specific collector it might be of interest.
Here are two sources to learn more about Northill (especially the regulators.)
thescubamuseum.com and vintagescubasupply.com

Catherine
I concur with the two previous posters and would also like to add a little more

The "Northhill" regulator was produced by Airearch division of the Garrett Corporation in LA for the US Navy in 1954.as the "Air Lung" It has a place in history as the first and only regulator developed especially for the US Navy.

In 1955 the Northill Air lung was marketed to the general public .

Your cylinder (tank) was a component of the unit, ie tank, (which you have ) and regulator and back pack which you do not have.

With an original hydro date of April 1955 makes it one if not possibly the oldest Northhill tanks still in service after the passage of 63 years

Therefore, to a Northhill or military dive equipment collector it possibly has value.
It might be appropriate to contact the Historical Diving Society (HDS) and list it for sale.

It would be almost Criminal to chop it up as a lamp

Re back pack -- E bay 10 to 25 Yankee dollars ..

Cheers from CenCal...where it is 66 degrees and sprinkling--heading south

The only thing Northill is the tank and most likely the valve. The "harness" on it is a US Divers (Aqua Lung today) from 1962. That particular backpack was made in one year only as it has some major issues. It was reconfigured in 1963 and continued for a few years. (if you want to sell the backpack, it is commonly referred to as a "DOG BONE" from USD. It might have a $25-$45 value on eBay). The value of the tank is in the $50 or less range. It has to be retested ($25-$35). And the valve is a type that is not favored today and as such the tank loses valve. There are literally hundreds of the type of tank you have, albeit, NORTHILL is rather rare and to a specific collector it might be of interest.
Here are two sources to learn more about Northill (especially the regulators.)
thescubamuseum.com and vintagescubasupply.com

Catherine
I concur with the two previous posters and would also like to add a little more

The "Northhill" regulator was produced by Airearch division of the Garrett Corporation in LA for the US Navy in 1954.as the "Air Lung" It has a place in history as the first and only regulator developed especially for the US Navy.

In 1955 the Northill Air lung was marketed to the general public .

Your cylinder (tank) was a component of the unit, ie tank, (which you have ) and regulator and back pack which you do not have.

With an original hydro date of April 1955 makes it one if not possibly the oldest Northhill tanks still in service after the passage of 63 years

Therefore, to a Northhill or military dive equipment collector it possibly has value.
It might be appropriate to contact the Historical Diving Society (HDS) and list it for sale.

It would be almost Criminal to chop it up as a lamp

Re back pack -- E bay 10 to 25 Yankee dollars ..

Cheers from CenCal...where it is 66 degrees and sprinkling--heading south

I really appreciate your help, thank you! I would never have found all of that out.

I admit to being slightly disappointed that it isn't really worth anything. Some of the prices I had seen for vintage tank got me hoping I could finally get a shiny new phone :)

Is it HDS.org or HDS.com that you would suggest?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom