Raja Ampat in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feb is the right time to dive southern Komodo if your land-based option does not come out.
Getting to Komodo is pretty straight forward.

Komodo is also liveaboard, correct?
Afraid most are full by now...

I'm under the impression that diving in South RA is superior to its northern counterpart. Is that so?

I can only tell you my experience, I have been a few times. IN GENERAL, we found more sharks, more current, lower coral coverage and fewer soft corals in central RA than in south RA. Most of the time. A lot depends on the phase of the moon and the time of the year, and luck. Both are great and FAR superior to anything you have experienced in the Caribbean.

Others please chime in. I'm no expert.

- Bill

I'm under the impression that diving in South RA is superior to its northern counterpart. Is that so?

Not in my opinion. They are different, yes, but I would not call the South superior. You'll find a greater density of soft corals there, along with a good manta site and some blacktips. The North is known for a higher density of fish life, often in big schools. Yes, those are generalizations, and you might find particular dives or dive sites in each area that defy them. Personally, if I had to choose one area over the other on a trip, I'd take the North, while still praising the South.

RA is much like Komodo ... the North and South are different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. The time of the year will also change the mix of life you see in either area.

Reactions: Dan
Not in my opinion. They are different, yes, but I would not call the South superior. You'll find a greater density of soft corals there, along with a good manta site and some blacktips. The North is known for a higher density of fish life, often in big schools. Yes, those are generalizations, and you might find particular dives or dive sites in each area that defy them. Personally, if I had to choose one area over the other on a trip, I'd take the North, while still praising the South.

RA is much like Komodo ... the North and South are different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. The time of the year will also change the mix of life you see in either area.

You bet, the soft coral in the south is incredible. When I was there the fish density in the south was much higher than in the north, that's where we differ. Of course nature is a changeable thing. I preferred the south to central or north due to the soft coral, fish density and diversity, and not to mention oceanic mantas.

Komodo also is like RA with differences and preferences. I prefer the south to the north there also.

You can dive Komodo either LOB or land based.
I believe SJ Komodo received good reviews if you are looking for a land based operator instead of a LOB.

Check out Papua Explorers on Gam (northern RA). Much cheaper than Misool Eco. We were there in late 2016 and loved it so much that we're going back next week. :yeahbaby:

I'm in Asia, I figured travelling will be about 2 days each way...

2 days each way is more like from where I am in California. Don’t forget to back out no fly times as part of your planning. Your 7-8 dive days might really be 6-7 depending on where you go or flight schedules. Plan that one carefully...

You can do it land based or by day boats as well.

Stayed 7 nights with Papua Paradise last February. Great facilities, brand new dive equipment, wonderful staff/manager, and (obviously) great diving. Up to 4 dives/day, hitting all of the local spots in/around the resort and Kri area as well as longer day trips to Fam and the passage. By no means did I feel like I missed out by being land based in Raja - there are so many amazing dive sites all over the place and such a diversity of life that it would be hard to exhaust any one region of Raja in the amount of time you're going to be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom