Suggestions for Kona in a few weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Island Divers and Kona Honu Divers are both great to dive with but sign up for their advanced trips they cost a little more but less crowded. Shore diving the Puako area is very good House 56, House 40 and Catholic Church are all good sites and you can rent cylinder from Blue Wilderness in the Queens shopping center. Blue Wilderness also runs an RIB out of Puako that hits these sites as well. Kohala Divers out of Kawaihae are usually less crowded and will most likely be the only dive boat on the sites they use. If you want to try shore diving on the Hilo side use Bill at Nautilus Dive Center he’s been shore diving that area for about 35-40 years and is a wealth of information.

4-Mile is not one of the better shore dives, though it is nicely accessible. It's just kind of plain. There are better dives along Alii though access is not as straightforward. Two-step is vastly better, and far and away the spot least dependent on ocean and wind conditions. If there's only one dive you can do, do Two-Step (good for 2 tanks minimum). Old Airport has more than one good and easy shore dive spot, and the Honokohau harbor mouth beach has been interesting every time I've done it, and is easy access. Puako way up north is also good, but all the entries and exits are tricky in any but the calmest conditions.

Kona Diving Company was top notch when I visited. We were first on the Manta site and had the brightest lights (attracts more mantas). Very nice boat, professional crew, and they have Nitrox (32 and 36) tanks on hand if you decide last minute that you want to use it.

I second Kona Diving Company. We dove with them last week and they were excellent. The manta dive is a must. We saw several mantas during the evening dive as well.

For sure you should dive 2 Steps (Place of Refuge) as it is the most protected bay for winter diving. If conditions are calm, Pebble Beach at mile marker 96 is a great shore dive. We take our guests out at these places when they stay at Sugar Cottage (sugar-inc.com).

This is my opinion as well. I really enjoyed pebble beach. Its quite a drive to get down there so take two tanks to make it worth it. 2 step was good. Dog beach if you want to see tiger sharks, my favorite shore dive on the big island btw. Youtube "Laverne tiger shark"

This is my opinion as well. I really enjoyed pebble beach. Its quite a drive to get down there so take two tanks to make it worth it. 2 step was good. Dog beach if you want to see tiger sharks, my favorite shore dive on the big island btw. Youtube "Laverne tiger shark"

Was just on the Big Island the week after Thanksgiving and one of the guides we dove with said Laverne had been hit by a prop and had not been seen since.

Thats sad news.

She was the first shark I ever witnessed on a dive.

2 step is a must, and you really cant go wrong with any of the Kona shops. shore dives are definately hit and miss this time of year. Also Kohala divers is a great shop, and the dives are much different than the kona sites. I haven't done the pelagic dive, but the mantas are an amazing experience.

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback, I had been checking in regularly to read peoples thoughts. I actually didn’t have time for any shoreys but dived with both Big Island Divers and Kona Honu Divers and both are A+ in my opinion.
So, New Year’s Eve, dived with BID, first dive, see a damn whale Shark! Next dive, 2 tiger sharks! AND in between these dives during the boat trip we stop to see a humpback whale - and then we see another whale shark so we all grabbed our snorkels and jumped in quickly. Money well spent!
On New Year’s Day went with KHD’s and took us into an awesome cave with a couple chandeliers, that was really fun, awesome dive guides too - from both companies.
Off to Oahu now and not expecting any of the same stuff but the wrecks seem like an interesting idea.
Thanks for all the previous advice.

I am of low opinion of the sites inside Kona along Alii Dr., such as various mile markers and Pahoehoe Beach Park. If you want to shore dive, better go either further south (Honaunau or Hookena) or way up north (Dog beach, Puako or even Mahukona).

Thanks for the info! What didn't you like about Kona shore dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom