Allergies and Congestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macs122

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I am a fairly inexperienced diver who is in Cozumel on vacation. I am booked to Dive tomorrow but I am worried about my allergies and congestion. I constantly have a semi-stuffed nose, and right now it is not completely clogged. I plan on taking flonase, 4 hr Sudafed, and 4 hour Afrin tomorrow before the Dive, but I have been reading horror stories about reverse blocks. Do you have any suggestions on medication/wether it is safe to dive or not???? I know there a lot of posts on this but none really fit my dilemma. Thanks so much

Hi,
I am a fairly inexperienced diver who is in Cozumel on vacation. I am booked to Dive tomorrow but I am worried about my allergies and congestion. I constantly have a semi-stuffed nose, and right now it is not completely clogged. I plan on taking flonase, 4 hr Sudafed, and 4 hour Afrin tomorrow before the Dive, but I have been reading horror stories about reverse blocks. Do you have any suggestions on medication/wether it is safe to dive or not???? I know there a lot of posts on this but none really fit my dilemma. Thanks so much
The 12 hour version of pseudoephedrine is the preferred formula so that there is less risk of the medication wearing off before the dive is over. But pseudoephedrine is illegical in Mexico so you will have to work with what you have.

The 12 hour version of pseudoephedrine is the preferred formula so that there is less risk of the medication wearing off before the dive is over. But pseudoephedrine is illegical in Mexico so you will have to work with what you have.
Ok thanks so much, is it still safe to dive? If there’s too much pressure descending than i can just go back up but I’m just worried about a reverse block.

Ok thanks so much, is it still safe to dive? If there’s too much pressure descending than i can just go back up but I’m just worried about a reverse block.
It is possible. People do get reverse blocks. Only you know just how congested you are and can decide if it is worth the risk. I admit I have dove with some significant congestion and am fortuunate to have never had that problem. But as I said I use the 12 hour verson so it will not wear off during my dive. With a 4 hour medication its possible it will be wearing off as you are ascending from your dive and that could prove painful.

Flonase is not fast acting. You should have started on that weeks ago, the sooner the better. If you have known allergies you should have been dealing with that at least a week ago, longer would have been better. Antihistamines work better to prevent than to treat allergies. You are behind the curve on a couple important drugs.

Real Afrin will last you 12 hours. 4 hour Afrin? You WANT [oxymetozaline]>12 hour. 4 hour will not work as well. You can use it for several days running. Take it about 30"-60" before the dive and it should get you through a dive day. I would not push it beyond 4-5 days, and expect some rebound congestion that will be unpleasant.

Some people can get away with the 12 hours Sudafed. I feel like I've had a 4-shot Expresso Grande. If you've 'smuggled it in (illegal? that's stupid), take it about 30" before the dive.

CRITICAL!!! Descend very s...l..o..w..l...y paying careful attention to clearing and how your sinuses and ears feel. Do NOT push it. If you have ANY problems >>>> bail. Reverse block is generally caused by congestion made worse by hammering the sinuses on the way down which makes them swell up and pinch closed.
Make SURE you have plenty of air for ascent. IF you get a block a slow ascent with stops at the 'pain depth' will let the bubble and crud in the blocked sinus slowly push the swollen opening back open.
Slow down > slow up, don't panic, take it easy.

I suffer from Polyps and Allergies causing me to often have a stuffy nose. However it is limited to my nose and not my actual sinuses. I take Flixanase and Antihistamine and don't have any problems as long as I keep on my medication. However if your sinuses are feeling bad and you are hearing/feeling lots of pressure on decent I would abort the dive. I have gone ahead and to be honest its a world of discomfort, worry and often I would get bad sinus headaches after diving that would last a couple of days.

If I am so bad I have to use decongestants I personally wouldn't dive at all. Its not worth the risk. Take a lot of care.

That first 4-6 feet are really really important. Any problems there, go back up and try again carefully. DON'T PUSH IT. You can start over, several times if you want as long as you don't hurt yourself. Mild pressure is OK, pain is not.

From 6-20 feet is still super important and deserves a lot of attention and careful clearing. I have crap sinuses and can feel them @ 12-15' where I simply STOP, hang out for a couple minutes, then continue slowly. You can clear your ears, your sinuses pretty much have to clear themselves.
30' on down is a bit easier but you still need to pay attention.

Coz can be difficult for this as a lot of it is deep un-tethered drops into current. Maintaining slow and even buoyancy is a skill it sounds like you may not have yet. Discuss this requirement with your buddy and/or Dive Master. If they can help, use it.

I took four-hour sudafed and although i could breath through my nose again, my nasal passages, sinuses and ear canals were NOT back to normal and still “snergly”. Before the four hours were up, stuffiness came back putting pressure on ears and giving me “ balloon head “ feeling. My takeaway is that sudafed is not going to protect my ears if I were diving. I hope all went well in your case.

CRITICAL!!! Descend very s...l..o..w..l...y paying careful attention to clearing and how your sinuses and ears feel. Do NOT push it....

Here here. If you feel the slightest pressure or pain, ascend a bit and try again (lightly). Go all the way to the surface if you have to. Blowing your nose sometimes helps. (at the surface)

What DAN says:
DAN Takes a Look at Over-the-Counter Medications — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article
Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving? — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article

Maybe also helpful: my favorite equalizing technique: The Frenzel maneuver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom