Not just for women - coffee snob alert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also a great fan of "french press". I bought this french press, a great item for travelling :)
4188fWo4sDL._SX425_.jpg

That Bodum French press is great for car camping, but can be an issue to clean. Needs lots of water and paper towels. Unscented cleaning wipes can also work. I've never brought one when traveling overseas though.

Sometimes the local coffee can be quite good. The best I've ever had was in Bali - brewed Turkish style and sweetened with coconut milk. Really amazing. Turns out it was all grown locally; we drove through the coffee growing plantations where freshly picked coffee fruit was drying by the side of the road. The aroma of coffee filled the air.

I've found it helps to be nice and friendly with the resort staff. It's usually possible to 'train' a sympathetic server to brew coffee the way you like.

Yep, Philippines and Indonesia have outstanding local coffee beans. On the Komodo LOB, coffee was prepared "Turkish Style", in Anilao, the hotel had several "french press". Great countries for coffee lovers.

You are right, the Bodum is difficult to clean........like any French Press :banghead:

REI also has a French press insert for the standard Nalgene bottle. Works great for backpacking as well. Us coffee snobs don't mind a little coffee taste in our drinking water for on the trails and then you use the same bottle for your morning coffee.

I've been using this one for years. Even more compact and light than the silicone one. I let the bag sit in the cup with grounds in then, after brewing put it up on legs to let every drop get into the cup.

Ultralight Java Drip

I like a good cup of coffee, my problem is, some water makes lousy coffee.

I ran into that on Grand Cayman of all places. They make their own fresh water. if I'm not mistaken. Pretty much like distilled. Maybe without some minerals (which my home water has plenty) it made awful tasting coffee (for me). Maybe if I go to the Caymans again I need to bring some deposits scraped from my kettle - lol.

Central American coffee -- world best Coffee !

I was a Second Lieutenant on my way to a First Lieutenant during the Korean war and had been reassigned to a Squadron under a well seasoned mustang Major who had served in WW1 & WW11 (FYI a Mustang s one who begins as enlisted and becomes an officer}

A new General had assumed command and had insisted that the base have Saturday Morning Inspections aka SMIs) We were the USAF and we sleep in with our head's on a pillow on Saturday mornings , so the event was off to a bad start

All the Officers assembled, 2 Captains a First Lieutenant and me a Second Lieutenant and new to the squadron. We were on our way to perform SMI.

We completed the SMi and assemble at at Sgt Peligrinso shop were every ojne grabbed a cup and began drinking hot steaming coffee -- all but me - I was and still not a coffee drinker .

Soon we , the squadrons officers were joined by all the squadrons sergeants, and a heated discussion began over the taste of the coffee and its county of origin.

Some insisted it was from Mexico others Central American still others South America.
I was in awe I was dumfounded -- how could you tell the difference be tween coffee's origins ? Some one stated it was the height of the tree it was grown on and the had decided it was Central American coffee

Why? I asked

Well you see Lieutenant, .in Mexico the coffee trees are really tall, In South America, not as tall but in Central American the coffee is grown high in the Andes on very small bushes and the have very tall dogs who are trained to pea on the coffee plants which give it its wonderful Central American coffee flavor ...

In unison the entire group shouted "We got the Lieutenant!"
I had been had -- as I have had you

Have a great day and a when you have a cup of coffee make certain it is grown high in the Andes on small plants--worlds best coffee flavor according to the USAF !

My dog Lucky is awake and we are off for a walk on the beach..

Sam, Miller, 111

FYI -- The story is totally true -- I was the scape goat ! It was my initiation into the squadron
Anmd as the years pasted other were imitated in the Central American Coffee clan..

Last edited:
@Kharon, that ultralight looks pretty cool - and I agree that if you start out with bad tasting water it will result in sub-par coffee. I'm planning to use bottled water wherever we go.

@Sam Miller III, nice story! Central American coffee is great, but I don't think my tastes are as discerning as the USAF - I prefer better than what I can buy in the supermarket, and prefer my own. But beyond that I think the amazing stuff is lost on me. :wink:

@Kiimela

You grind your own coffee -- what you also need is a large trainable dog
The dog will add that special taste that is missing in store bought coffee and especially home ground coffee

Don't knock it unless your try it !

Now I am really off to the beach

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom