New to Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin I am in Fort Worth and haven't been to Travis in too long. Many divers go from all over just for the slightly clearer water. I am sure there is a good size group of divers who call Travis home. I would check with a local dive shop. I think there might be a dive op on the lake, but I'm not sure- I think I remember reading that somewhere.

I live 30 minutes from lake Travis. The visibility is often terrible above 60 feet but clears up below that. Our last dives to 100 were in the 30-50 foot viz range. I'll take that over lake Nasworthy any day. I once lived in San Angelo. Welcome to Texas. There is no dive shop at the lake. There is one dive location that provides fills. We prefer the other dive location but we fill our own.

Awesome, thanks is there a small diving community around there?

Justin

The Austin MSA is 1m+ so there is a fair dive community there. For Lake Travis, get in touch with Robert Weiss at Lake Travis Scuba. Also contact Tom's Dive and Swim. They have club events at the lake.

Duggan Dives out of San Antonio do drift dives in the Comal River. Fairly shallow, but good "treasure hunting" due to the tubers.

Best vis is in Spring Lake in San Marcos. You need to take the Diving of Science course to dive the lake outside of the Training Area. Max depth is 29', but almost Carib vis (50-80') and a constant 72 degrees year round.

30-50 @ Travis? "Bartender, i'll have whatever he's having!" Hahahaha

Believe it or don’t. Made me want a brighter light.

I have been in Lake Whitney when it was really murky from the surface to about 30-40 feet. Then it was very clear, but dark.
Vis can vary in different spots in the same lake too.

It was yellow milk at 30 feet. It felt like there was a ceiling once we got deeper.

I am not sure how close you are to it but Balmorhea State Park has some great scuba diving. You might want to plan a long weekend there if its a bit of a drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom