Questions about LP72 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No burn marks or signs of trauma as far as I can see.

The other cylinder was 3% PE.
FWIW, they both had similar EE values.

Wow. I have an even dozen LP72s, some so old they have ICC numbers and the shoulders are crowded with hydro stamps. I get an average of two tested every year. None have ever failed. 30% is just remarkable. Remind me never to get you to buy a tank on my behalf! ;-)

I would reccomend a different retester. I have bought and sold over 200 steel 72s in the last 5 years. I have had two fail hydro. I have had many fail visual inspection, but your 30% failure rate points me towards a bad retester. My perm expansions on the four 72s that tested this week were .9%, 1.1%, .6%, 1.4%. Those are normal numbers.

Had yet another LP72 tank fail hydro. Supposedly failed even with the round-out procedure applied.

This time I had a matched pair that I found banded together with manifold. same born date (67), same last hydro (72), same interior/exterior visual condition.

One passed. Failure came back with 22.8% PE.

My failure rate on these tanks is about 30%. Not worth the trouble.

Find another hydro shop.

I'll have to add to the general theme, I haven't run across an old 72 that wouldn't pass hydro if the had passed the visual. My experience is only the 7 in my fleet now, including a 1/2" pipe thread with an ICC stamp, and another half dozen or so over the years.

Bob

If a tank has over 10% PE at 90% test pressure during the "leak" check, does that fail hydro?

Last edited:
If a tank "fails" at 90% test pressure during the "leak" check, does that fail hydro?

Probably just drive the tester nuts trying to find a leak that doesn't exist.

Since it is not a hydro test yet it didn't fail a hydro test.

Bob

I should have been more clear. I meant if a tank has too much PE at 90% test pressure.

Technically no, but unless if it was the prestretch or there was a leak, it would in all likelihood fail at the subsequent full pressure test

I would reccomend a different retester. I have bought and sold over 200 steel 72s in the last 5 years. I have had two fail hydro. I have had many fail visual inspection, but your 30% failure rate points me towards a bad retester. My perm expansions on the four 72s that tested this week were .9%, 1.1%, .6%, 1.4%. Those are normal numbers.

Agreed, there is definitely a problem with that retester. One wonders how many poor, innocent tanks they've 'killed' over all these years ? I've got approx 2 dozen tanks, mostly expensive steels, and I'd have a fit if I experienced the tank fatality rates you're experiencing! I have my tanks hydro-ed at Scubatoys or Lone Star Scuba (Ft. Worth, TX) and I have yet to lose even one tank to either visual or hydro test failure. With a personal tank fleet value approaching $ 10 K, I'm not wanting some clueless dive ship getting anywhere near my tanks!

This isn't a dive shop. No dive shop I know of in Dallas does hydro in-house.

I take my tanks directly to Koetter Fire Protection in Dallas. Most dive shops in the area use them.

The other major one is probably Cylinder Services. There are a few more smaller ones around I've heard of, including one guy who supposedly has a mobile hydro test rig in his trailer.

2 / PST >>>> 0.171 inches / 28.88 Lbs / 70.5 cu ft of air (@ STP) / REE = 58.6
4 / PST >>>> 0.181 inches / 30.11 Lbs / 70.8 cu ft of air (@ STP) / REE = 61.5
5 / Norris >> 0.179 inches / 29.73 Lbs / 71.4 cu ft of air (@ STP) / REE = 60.7
6 / PST >>>> 0.173 inches / 30.43 Lbs / 70.9 cu ft of air (@ STP) / REE = 58.7

OK I know this is an old thread, but I've recently found a hydro tester that MAY + stamp my old 72's.. I'm a bit confused on the stated PST ree value 58.4 and the values found above which are greater than 58.4. I thought to get the +, the tank had to have a value LESS than the posted value??
In addition to that - if the average REE is determined by a set of tanks, is there a % less than average that allows the pass as using the average, 50% of tanks would fail to pass...

Anyone have time to explain what it is I'm missing? I now have 14 steel 72's. Half are in hydro, half have been sitting for over 15 years but most look great, I just haven't taken them in yet. Now that I may be able to get a +, the ones that have not seen use, may see it soon (as I don't want to re-hydro tanks that are still good for a few years).
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom