Buoyancy Swim shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roxxer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am having real difficulty maintaining buoyancy for my lower body and it's coming in the way of my being able to swim well or tread water. I seem to sink in water and it makes treading extremely difficult and tiring. Do buoyancy swim shorts help in such cases, and are buoyancy swim shorts allowed for pool tests for Open Water Dive Certification ?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

The idea of the test is your swimming ability so no - you will not be allowed a flotation aid. Human buoyancy is variable but not by a lot. I struggle and am a relatively poor swimmer if I am honest. Try laying on your back with your hands just out the water. The Open Water cert should not be too hard for anyone. I did about 90 hours pool time practice for my DM and still found it hard.

In addition, remember that your lungs will hold more air than people typically fill them with in a normal breath. Inhale deeply and release slowly not to the point of them being completely empty and you'll be surprised how much buoyancy you will gain.

Check out some videos on youtube. There are a couple that demonstrate treading water tips for beginners that may help. Otherwise you can back float, which uses your lungs to the greatest effect for floatation. Try to use arms and legs only during inhale/exhales when you might need a slight extra boost while regaining any lost buoyancy.

If your bottom half is sinking with the crawl stroke, you are likely tense and you are holding your head up some, possibly without even noticing it. Your head should be more or less completely submerged, and you should take in air by turning to the side putting your mouth near your shoulder while still keeping the top of your head pointed in the direction you are going. Sometimes instructors tell swimmers to exaggerate body positions to get it right. For example, they may tell the swimmer they should be looking down or to nearly touch their chins to their chest and to breathe out of their armpit. The swimmer never quite goes to that extreme, so it puts the head in a decent position.

You can practice your head position by floating face down with a small floating item held between your knees. Lift your head and feel it pushing your hips down. Keep your head down and feel your hips rise. Almost everyone that has trouble with the crawl stroke for anything longer than a couple of pool lengths lifts their heads as they turn to the side to breathe. This makes them kick/stroke harder to compensate, which tires them quickly. They don't realize they are lifting because they still turn their heads.

For floating, relax. Let your head go under. As you exhale, do a light scissor kick and push your arms down and lift your head to get a breath. Relax again. Your legs will sink under you and your head will probably be just touching the surface or a few inches under once you stabilize. This is called drown proofing or survival floating. Learn to completely relax doing this. I used to do this for 15-30 minutes at the end of every pool session while training for PSD according to how much time we had at the end of the session. Not only is it a nice skill to have, it works great to help you get rid of tension...a zen type of thing. Once you master that, you can use the same relaxation skills to help you tread water easier.

Last edited:
Good swim goggles help with level trim, you relax your neck, let your head stay in the water, and your feet will rise up more, as others have said.

frankly, I've forgotten if goggles are allowed on the swim test. I recall they are. If so, use 'em!

Good swim goggles help with level trim, you relax your neck, let your head stay in the water, and your feet will rise up more, as others have said.

frankly, I've forgotten if goggles are allowed on the swim test. I recall they are. If so, use 'em!
Absolutely. Even if they aren't allowed, use them to perfect your stroke first, then start working without them.

I am very leg heavy and dense so to float I have to lay back arch my back to keep my legs up but still have issues with them sinking. Floaty people have hard time understanding people who do not float.
For the swim test there is no stroke requirement, you can use what ever stroke works for you it is not timed, you just have to finish. For my DM test I used the back stoke, I knew I would get a one but finished and made up for it in other areas.

I don't think type of bathing suit will make any difference, though it makes sense to keep them short and not too baggy. All good advice above.
Float: try "drown-proofing" (take a big breath and let your head slip underwater while moving arms, legs). You may spin around a bit. Then up again for another breath. I had to do this to do the 13 min. DM test float that is followed with 2 mins. of hands out of water, which I was in no way capable of doing (doub't I could've done that 30 years ago either). Should be a piece of cake since you are not required to have hands out. You could probably do this for hours. Perfectly legal according to PADI since you are not ever touching the bottom or pool sides. Don't let any instructor tell you otherwise (as I have heard one say this). My negative buoyancy is just like yours, especially legs.

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies above. I guess it's just going to take some time to discover the right recipe for me to swim and float/tread. When I lie on back, My head tends to sink and it makes me panic.I have seen many people do it apparently effortlessly in the pool. I hope to get there a well. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom