Help! Olympus housing - can't remove port!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerich: said "Given that our biggest fear, death, is inescapable, doesn’t it seem ridiculous to let our smaller fears dictate how we live our too short lives? -Me"

Almost nobody can see themselves dead on a day, just like today. Worry, fear and anxiety are the things we go underwater to get away from. One week's diving is greater than a year of 'normal' life!

I've found that the small retainer piece that is held by the screw, when loose can fall slightly back into it's locked position and prevent the port from moving. Try turning the housing so that this piece will remain out of the way or remove it as well as the screw if you havn't all ready.

Find a plastic cup or dish which is close to the dome's base diameter. Freeze water in it, put it in a plastic bag, then set it inside the port base. Chilling may cause the port tube to contract slightly which may ease the tightness of the seal. I would completely remove the retaining tab from the mounting ring base.

The 'difficult' port change is the main reason I switched to a Nauticam housing. I never have this type of issue anymore.

I'm not familiar with the Oly housing, but I trust that there isn't a port lock on it? My Aquatica housing has one and once the lever that controls came lose and wouldn't release the lock... I had to go at it from inside the housing and release the lock...

@BlueDevil, your initial post indicated that there was an upcoming trip in the near future that you wanted to have your dome port on for. I was just curious if you have done your trip yet, and if you have had any success in removing & replacing your ports.

Sometimes the first time changing the ports can be hard. But have a friend hold the housing and use a strap wrench to turn it. Make sure you are turning it the correct direction. Once you get it off, use a fair amount of silicone and you should have problems going forward.

I always re-install the small metal tab before attaching the port otherwise you won't get the tab back into position once the port is mounted. Once the port is in position you can install the small screw that holds the tab in place and keeps everything secure.

Jack,
Are the "O" rings on Zen dome ports rubber such as Ikelite uses or silicone which is what Olympus uses? I understand there are specific lubricants for each type of "O" ring material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom