Suggestions for Kona in a few weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porko83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey scuba friends, as the title says I will be on the Big Island over New Years and if you only had a few spots to dive at which ones would they be? I haven't booked through any shops yet but I'm looking at doing that in the next week, I also heard about a couple of nice shore dives I'd like to do most likely on my own, one being on Ali'i Drive called Mile marker 4.
Ive dived around Maui a few times and love it there. Being from Australia, Hawaii feels like my second home.
Suggestions and information truely appreciated!
E

Do a couple of days with Kona area shops and make a road trip to Kawaihae and dive with Kohala Divers. Great diving without the Kona crowds. Schedule the night manta dive in the Kona area.

-AZTinman

Fellow Australian here. I was in Kona a year ago. Did 2x2 dives with Big Island Divers. We did Golden Arches / Pinnacle (not sure of the correct name of the second one), and then Garden Eel Cove (off the airport) - first as a pre-dusk dive, and then as the manta night dive (not you normal dive profile, but an amazing experience).

Would definitely dive with them again

I’d book two dives a few days apart. Weather is unpredictable this time of year. I think I was blown out twice in 2 weeks.

I am of low opinion of the sites inside Kona along Alii Dr., such as various mile markers and Pahoehoe Beach Park. If you want to shore dive, better go either further south (Honaunau or Hookena) or way up north (Dog beach, Puako or even Mahukona).

Kona Diving Company was top notch when I visited. We were first on the Manta site and had the brightest lights (attracts more mantas). Very nice boat, professional crew, and they have Nitrox (32 and 36) tanks on hand if you decide last minute that you want to use it.

I second Puako if the conditions are good and you like shore diving. My favorite site along Puako is called End-of-Road. Some people are pro-Manta Dive and some people are against it. It's a bit of a circus, but still a pretty spectacular sight. If you're feeling even more adventurous, check out the Black Water night dive. We used Kona Honu for boat and the Manta dive, and I was happy with them.

+1 on the blackwater night dive (also called pelagic magic) - it was one of my favorite dives of the trip. The other site that really stood out for me was Au Au Crater.

For sure you should dive 2 Steps (Place of Refuge) as it is the most protected bay for winter diving. If conditions are calm, Pebble Beach at mile marker 96 is a great shore dive. We take our guests out at these places when they stay at Sugar Cottage (sugar-inc.com).

Back
Top Bottom